Non Naim PreAmps with NAP 300DR

Easy: if someone has a preamp already that they like, or has a DAC with an output capable of driving a power amp effectively, and perhaps recognises and likes some aspects of Naim’s power amp design approach (e.g. not using parallel output transistors).

Why would said person contemplate the significant cost of buying a Naim preamp when all they need is a power amp? It does seem rather unfortunate for Naim to position their power amps in such a way as to negate use without a Naim preamp.

2 Likes

Too expensive…and without a phono. At minimum both would cost me 18k ( 15k 552/ service/ tube phono)

Baby Jesus uses the Baby reference, of course.

1 Like

Clearly a man of conviction! I understand the reticence to put a hifi critic on a pedestal, I was just making the point that their view is as, if not more, relevant than Joe Bloggs in this discussion.

I know the Naim pre amps sound wonderful but they are starting to look a little yesterday. No head phone amp, no phono amp dated features etc. If you look at Naims direct competition you’ll notice that most have moved on. Of course this is just my opinion.

4 Likes

I recall reading a Jason Kennedy review of 272 with active ATCs. So mixing Naim pre and ATC power amps, (plus active x-over, of course). What is interesting is that Kennedy claims the idea for the combo came from Salisbury.

He really liked the combo, but thought it could be improved by slotting in guess which preamp?

Roger

But, with apologies for the presumption, you don’t know anything about Joe, his background, experience, knowledge etc etc…

I completely agree. I will never pay 25k for a preamp that has not changed from 2002.
Apart the dr change, which not makes it a new pre .
Second hand, for 10k included service, maybe.

3 Likes

Well Naim streamers into non Naim headphones amps are delightful, so why not?

The pre’s are to outdated and expensive for me.

If I was to move, non Naim amps is tempting.

1 Like

I didn’t study a lot of analog when I was in college. I was more on the digital side. But what I learned is that analog designs don’t change much over time. Componentery might evolve, but not sure it does in the right direction from an audio perspective.

What I mean is that the 552DR didn’t age that much, from a technological point of view.

We are not talking about digital to analog reconstruction, or streamer technology.

Of course, one may like the 552, or not. I like it, a lot! And from an audio point of view that’s what counts. Doesn’t it?

But I’m sure @Simon-in-Suffolk could share his experience in the analog domain, and regarding preamps designs. Which is something rather interesting.

2 Likes

Don’t think @Mike_S was doubting the pre amps ability that’s a given, but simply stating that compared to most of their competitors they are looking a little dated. I agree, and I don’t think we’re alone either. Naim pre amps aren’t cheap regardless of which country you’re in and they lack some features that most customers expect is an issue. I understand that analog hasn’t progressed at the same rate as digital but it’s more about aesthetics and features. The lack of headphone and phono amps I feel is a problem for potential customers, we’re all believers we don’t need encouragement but a new customer probably will. Also the fact that Naim no longer make headphone/phono amps (as separates) is an issue and even if they did it required 4 boxes, I think people might find that a bit unnecessary these days and the lack of an inconvenience.

1 Like

They still make the phono amps don’t they? It’s hard to tell from the website as it’s a bit out of date, but I thought they were still available.
They’ve now marked the NAP100 as discontinued, but not the 272.

I thought both have been deleted but I maybe wrong (it wouldn’t be the first time)

I didn’t imply there isn’t competition. Of course there is.

It’s the fact that the 552DR is technologically outdated that I was doubting.

But I have neither the education or professional experience to have a well-argued opinion.

I agree they’re not out dated musically, as I said it’s more about what I think the market expects.

Naim still make phono amps.

1 Like

Thanks, for some reason I thought they were deleted as well.

I guess if there are little changes Naim can make to a 252 or 282, then why change? In someways its quite refreshing.

Other hifi manufacturers tended to “update” products far to often. Reality was it was usually just a change of casework, with limited improvements to electronics. Some of these firms are now longer trading.

I find the classic & 500 series Naim aesthetic timeless but I understand that may not appeal to new (younger) customers - then again, it probably didn’t appeal to everyone when they were first released.

I don’t know but somehow doubt Naim haven’t upgraded components in analogue amps over time, whilst maintaining the original, tried and tested architecture. Evolution rather than revolution which is fine by me and it means I can take advantage of the evolution every XX years at service time.

I suppose the modern selling point is DR technology - maybe it could be marketed more as something new and desirable rather than just an improvement. Existing customers have an idea of what DR brings but does it help to attract new customers?

1 Like

Is there an underlying assumption saying Naims preamps can be better as preamps within its pricebracket?

I would have thought that Naim would have made those changes if they were plausible.

Or is this an issue with aestethics?

When it comes to features I thought one of Naims main points was that separation as far as possible is beneficial for sq. Maybe I’ve got it wrong.