Noodling replacing my NAC N272 with NAC 252 & NDX2

Here is the thought…and an intense discussion is encouraged :wink: Pros/Cons, personal experiences.
My NAC N 272 is on its way back to Salisbury for repairs. I’m thinking about replacing it with a NAC 252 and an NDX 2. Here are the remaining parts of my system: NAP 300DR; Uniti CORE; spare XPS DR (which I can use with the NDX2); OPPO UDP 205; and Wilson Duetts…all transparent cable.
cheers!

2 Likes

Sounds like an excellent plan to result in a balanced system - if you can afford it why not!

2 Likes

Yeah sounds great, well it will sound great. In time the NDX2 would benefit from a 555PSU. And of course you’ll need a SC for the 252, but I’m sure you knew that.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Question - is there a major improvement, SQ difference with the 555PSU vs my exisitng XPS DR with the NDX2.
Yep - I think the only you can buy the 252 is with the SuperCap

Yes the 555 is a very considerable improvement but you should obviously demo for yourself.

1 Like

You might like to try a 555PSU with your 272 first.

It’s quite some upgrade.

2 Likes

I love my 252 and it’s partnered with a 300DR like yours would be. I know there is better amplification in the Naim hierarchy, and also elsewhere, but only a big Lotto win will make me change.
From what I’ve read on here though the 252 appears be “marmite” so don’t do anything without an extended audition. I find HiFi to be like albums. The ones that hit you between the eyes immediately often tend to be the ones you soon tire of. The ones that get better the more you listen become you’re favourites. That’s the 252 for me.

4 Likes

I advise you the existing thread » is it worth of 555 dr on Ndx2 instead of Xps dr ». 555 dr on Ndx2 vs bare Ndx2 is indeed a great uplift. But if the Ndx2 has already an Xps dr, the response is not so straightforward.

2 Likes

I love my 252 - moved up over the years from 202, 282 - the 252 is a sublime pre

also have NDX (bare) in my system my main source is my Klimax LP12 , as others have said max out the NDX2 with 555 PX the XPS DR, i would try this combo first

or sell the XPS DR to help fund the SCDR or SC for the 252

1 Like

Perfect solution

Second a previous post. You should listen first to your 272 with a 555PS. I recently upgraded from an XPSDR to a 555PS with my 272, and the difference is absolutely massive. Soundstage, bass, vocals, everything is taken to a whole new level altogether. Honestly to me I think this is the end of the road, until the (in)famous 372!! And I have a 300DR like you.

2 Likes

Same journey here. 272 to 252 + NDX2. not looked back but kept the 272 for a second system. class bit of kit. demo’d the NDX2 with xpsdr vs 555 and it wasn’t massive. bare to xpsdr outweighed xpsdr to 555 but that was just one listen.

3 Likes

I’ve read this word too, what is it supposed to mean? Thanks
Edit: I see, urbandictionary came to the rescue

Marmite is a yeast extract. Apparently some people don’t like it? bonkers!

1 Like

Marmite is a yeast extract. Apparently some people like it! Bonkers!

1 Like

252 is a superb amp. Some of us choose to hold out against it in the forlorn hope that a 552 magically arrives in the rack!

1 Like

boom, haha. the 252 is the winner here. +Marmite

1 Like

back to the question. buy them.

1 Like

LOL - You guys from across the pond did have me a bit confused with the Marmite comparison…but my KiWi spouse assured me that I would love it…but not with my grits…

1 Like

think it’s Vegimite your way.