Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

That’s a very broad brush (of what you don’t like) in fact it’s almost all recorded music :rofl:

2 Likes

100% agree they are absolutely ridiculous

1 Like

Nah, they are still relevant. I like that, like me, they refuse to give in to age.

1 Like

I think not quite as you express, as the classical music I don’t like is only a small proportion of that huge genre, itself maybe half of recorded music’s output (though actually I have no idea of the ratio between classical and non-classical).

As a child I disliked virtually all the non-classical music I heard, until the genesis of rock and its variants, particularly prog rock bringing in more classical-like composition: I had discovered my niche of modern music. But indeed there are more genres of music I don’t like than do, and I am entirely content with that as I guess there is still more music I’d like than I’d ever get to hear - especially as some of the music I do like engages and moves me so much that I have to go back and hear it again quite often.

1 Like

I do think it’s a bit draconian to dismiss an entire genre. I couldn’t stand jazz when I was growing up but love it now. There’s something in every genre for just about everyone - there’s some electronica for instance which is very similar to classical music (to my ears anyway). That’s just my opinion though and if I’m sure you dig what you dig as they say and power to you!

1 Like

That sounds like a variation on Oscar Wilde.

2 Likes

Of course dislike of entire genres is a generalisation and there may be the odd thing in any genre I might like - as indeed with mainstream pop I have occasionally heard something I’ve liked enough to want to hear again. However, taking your reference to jazz, the only jazz I’ve heard yet that I’ve liked has been jazz-rock but distinctly rockier than jazzy, and when it gets jazzier I’ve started to dislike it. Much jazz that I’ve heard is so excruciatingly unpleasant that I want to cover my ears or leave the room, other is just bearable. There is so much I haven’t heard within the genres I know I have a good chance of liking that I don’t see the point in subjecting myself to a lot of unpleasantness trying to find the oddity that I might like.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

In a broken dream, I’ve been drinking again.

Gosh, I feel sorry for you. You’re missing out on some great music there.

More Ventilator Blues

G

BTW, in answer to the thread question it was much easier to state the genres I dislike instead of listing every “legendary” band of artist within those genres that I’ve heard and disliked, and at the same time it saves naming names that to some people may be their favourites and which might cause afront (as that is how some people seem to take dismissal if their idols) and I have no interest in that - I just like the music I do like.

Me as well, God Only Knows is a work of genius but the rest escapes me completely.

I once found myself at a Beach Boys tribute act do. What a long night that was….

May I just say, Rap is crap!

I dislike a lot of well-structured Beach Boys, but how do you get on with Heroes and Villains?

As for @stuart.ashen and rap, isn’t The Revolution Will Not Be Televised the first rap song we all heard, followed by Whitey’s On The Moon?

3 Likes

Seconded! And let us not forget The Last Poets!

I’d rather listen any day to them, Gil or indeed The Message than most of the prog nonsense, guitar shredders or stadia-favourites, or the smooth, gutless ‘jazz’ so beloved here…

2 Likes

The Last Poets, yes.
The Last Poets, from Scotland, on occasion.
Lostprophets, no.

1 Like

There are some bands I still can stand. Beatles, Joy Division/New Order, Kingdom Come (Arthur Brown), Mothers of Invention before Hot Rats, a few early 70s albums by Stone the Crows, Laibach, Einsturzende Neubauten, Brian Eno with or without Robert Fripp, Pulp/Jarvis Cocker. Propaganda, The The, first two albums by Art of Noise, Gentle Giant, And Holger Hiller of course!

Some i really hate … Queen (especially after they broke the UN embargo against playing for the apartheid regime), Pink Floyd, van Morrison, Pretenders, Siouxie & the Banshees, Greenslade, Status Quo are terrible. As is Slade and Marc Bolan/T.Rex, Smiths, Elvis Costello. Jethro Tull. Cream. Deep Purple/Zeppelin/Sabbath.

1 Like

Last Poets from Scotland?

I only know the US…

1 Like

Stupid typo! Sorry.

You are right - the Scottish crew were the Lost Poets.

Ron Butlin, Liz Lochhead and Jim Hutcheson were among them iirc.

2 Likes