Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

Well, whilst I very much “get” the music of those musicians (I have no interest in the people), except most of Bob Dylan’s, I don’t in any way shape or form get the music of _______________*.

*Here insert the name of any well of the prominent jazz musicians or soul singers/bands frequently mentioned on this forum.

There’s no accounting for other people’s [lack of] taste! :laughing:

It is peculiar (in every sense), isn’t it? We all have a List, I would imagine. Here are the main entries on mine:

• The Beatles. Own none of their stuff, I quite like about a dozen or so of their songs. Otherwise, they leave me cold.

• Bob Dylan. Heard one of his on the radio the other day, and couldn’t stop smiling at how much worse he sounded than all the excellent parodies of his singing I’ve heard. That said, I love many cover versions of his songs, so it’s definitely his singing I have a problem with.

• U2. Mainly because of the politics and posturing, but I’ve also never heard a song of theirs that interested me in the slightest.

• Brahms. I keep trying, friends keep recommending pieces, but it never sounds like anything other than a very pleasant noise.

I regard all of this as nothing other than my problem and am very happy that so many people get pleasure from music that does nothing for me.

Mark

7 Likes

Regardless if it’s a legendary band/artist or not, my Naim system plays it well except maybe some Miley Cyrus. lol

Nothing is out of bounds. I listen to pretty much anything but I cannot “get” Bruce Spring(steam). Nothing against the music or the guy. Just does not move me.

3 Likes

…& what’s wrong with Miley🤨

1 Like

Does this not have something to do with what music you were exposed to in younger / formative years?

2 Likes

Springsteen NO
Rolling stones NO
Who NO
New Order NO

1 Like

interesting. what are your 4 ‘yes’s’ ?

She really sucks, mate. You’re just infatuated! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve just been listening to Allison Krause (oh add Robert plant to the NO list) :blush:

I have a lot more than 4 on the YES list.
My top artists off the top of my head.
Todd Rundgren
Little Feat
Donald Fagen
Deep purple
Robin thrower
Basia
Shakatak
Luther vandross
Calexico

1 Like

Is anybody really interested in what other people don’t like ? it’s what you like that counts. The what are you listening thread works because it’s positive, maybe highlights new music for people. Just telling people what you don’t like is futile.

8 Likes

this makes sense now

1 Like

Do you know DSoTM by Floyd?

It’s quite good.

3 Likes

Maybe worth giving him a proper listen?

E.g. Blonde on Blonde?

4 Likes

In my case classical yes, but non-classical no, bar one genre (though it depends what you mean by formative years….!) I was brought up with classical music frequently played on the radio or wind-up gramophone. I couldn’t stand the Beatles in their early years when I was 7-9, only coming to like their music (but not all) when I heard Get Back upon release, when I was nearly 15.

The one non-classical genre I like that may have had seeds sown in my younger years is prog rock (first heard at about age 14), the possible link being that at least some prog has parallels with classical music. However about the same time as discovering the world of prog I heard Led Zeppelin and the Edgar Broughton Band, instantly liking their blues-influenced rock, with no younger childhood links - and very rapidly discovered a lot of other heavy rock was to my taste.

2 Likes

there’s a musical DNA that runs through most people - what you’re saying makes sense…if you grew up with classical music constantly in the background and appreciated it, it makes sense that extension to prog rock makes sense (time signatures, instrumentation, scale) The characteristics can be seen to be similar. you’re more likely to like that type of music versus Bob Dylan, no?

(now you’re going to say that you’re listening to Dylan right now and he’s your absolute favourite :grinning:)

1 Like

Indeed I never really “got” Bob Dylan, but mainly because his voice just grated. Yes the connection to classical fo some music I like is an obvious predisposition - but heavy rock is harder to fathom. And I don’t know where my dislike of jazz, soul and most “pop” comes from…

1 Like

I’d argue that it’s not just his voice, but the simplicity of his composition and stripped down sound that is very different from what your default expectation is given your foundation in classical music

Not sure about that, as I do quite like folk music, which in general is similarly stripped down and simple. However I like a fair few of his songs when sung by others, which to me focused on his voice as the negative, though admittedly at least some other versions have been interpreted in a more complex way.

One interesting thing for me is that I came to like the Beatles as their style became more rock / prog rock, however it opened the door to liking earlier stuff, or (with the earliest) at least not actively disliking. Maybe the liking of their developed style predisposed me to its roots.

I’m struggling more with understanding what induced me to instantly like heavy rock (Deep Purple, Black Sabbat, Black Widow etc). Something to do with the energy - and the bass, a part of the spectrum that really grabbed me. Maybe it was simply something lacking in classical music.