Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

Interestingly when I saw the Who about 15 years ago they were as good as 45 years previously, albeit with a little less energy (BTW, Zak Starkey, Ringo’s son, is an excellent drummer, if not as “forward” as Keith Moon). Ten years or so ago seeing Roger Daltrey performing Tommy with his own band was absolutely no disappointment. These from the guys who in 1965 sang the timeless teenage song “My generation” with the line hope I die before I get old!

The Rolling Stones lost my interest for new music by tge end of the 1970s, however when I have seen clips of Mick Jagger even just a few years ago I’ve been amazed at how well he still does it. As for Keith Richards, he should have been dead 30 years or more ago - but he still looks and plays the same!!!

As for Pink Floyd, to me they don’t exist anymore, and haven’t since the mid 1990s: the release of Endless boredom or whatever it was called, with out-takes from the cutting room floor, just proved it. Roger Waters at least carried on the creative spirit. It’s a pity the potential make-up heralded at Live 8 in 2005 didn’t happen.

2 Likes

The Who were great in 2002 imho.

Dead right on drums too - lots of people focus on great guitarists for obvious reasons, but drummers are mostly under-appreciated. Mind you, KM once proudly proclaimed: “I am the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world! Don’t ask me to play like Charlie Watts - I can’t do it and I don’t want to”.

Can’t say for the Who, I didn’t listen to them since many years . But have still Tommy and another album of them.
As for the Floyd, I stopped with the Wall. And have to confess that I rarely listen to them nowadays. Had listened them to death when young.
The Stones: the only one track I listen to sometimes is “ Sympathy for the devil “.

I bought Tommy in the early 70’s & also a ‘Greatest Hits’ compilation around the same time, which was OK but, so I thought, not great. After Tommy, Quadrophenia was a big disappointment, full of what sounded to me, bland, unmemorable songs.

Heard a few other bits & pieces in the 80s & 90s which didn’t do it for me as well.

For some reason, I purchased the remastered CD of Quadrophenia in about 2011 & loved it from the off! It made Tommy appear rather dated to me. I then discovered Who’s Next, rather late in the day & thought it superb. Keith Moons drumming adds hugely to so many of the tracks.

I also immensely enjoy their two releases this century, ‘Endless Wire’ (2006 ish) & 2019s, simply titled ‘Who’. I think both are excellent albums & are well worth a listen. I am genuinely surprised that both albums garnered little attention upon their release.

I have since enjoyed live versions of both Tommy & Quadrophenia, particularly a DVD of the latter, performed in full from 2014.

Ignored them for years, but got there eventually!

4 Likes

I don’t particularly like Elvis and apart from his Elvis From Memphis album I find him rather boring. It’s not to say I don’t recognise his place in history it’s just I don’t like his music much.

3 Likes

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel about most of the legendary bands from all eras I would rather not listen to, including some current acts, who no doubt will be legendary in years to come.

1 Like

His early stuff was, I thought good - at least for the time. His later stuff was very poor, IMO.

This discussion thread supports my statement that Leonard Cohen > Bob Dylan.

I’ve not read all the posts but of those I have, I haven’t seen a single modern group/artist listed.
I’m a child of the 50’s and hate most of the Beatles stuff, together with Yes, The Who and the Rolling Stones. Yes there’s some good but for heaven’s sake move on. Wolf Alice, London Grammar, Billie Eilish, even, dare I say it, Taylor Swift for easy listening? Throw in a mix of the best from Dire Straits, Evanescence and a sprinkling of heavy rock and I can keep myself entertained for hours. And to finish this heretical outburst I’m going to say stream it all so you can build playlists or just pick and mix as you go, no faff and no crackles. I’ll get my coat.

1 Like

That’s probably because no modern artist or band could be called “legendary”…yet.
My choice of term legendary in the title was actually to focus on older, well established bands , where there is almost an expectation of adulation and praise…
And it’s this last point that was the actual intended thrust of this thread rather than just an opportunity to list a load of old bands you don’t like.

2 Likes

Well - duh!

I don’t see that liking artists from the 60s and 70s means you don’t like current artists.

1 Like

I tend to think the age of ‘legendary’ is over, once all these oldies die out.

Good or great definitely…but iconic legends?

2 Likes

My problem with the much older ‘Legendary’ bands is that for the most part and I include The Stones and The Who in this who I like is that they reach a creative peak usually quite early on and then spend the next 40 years regurgitating the same set of songs to the same set of fans in the same stadiums year on year.

4 Likes

I think that applies to the vast majority of bands/artists, not just the older ones.

1 Like

But this thread is about legendary older bands

Very true…I think.

True, but of course playing the albums at home is ‘regurgitation’ too, isn’t it? And what about listening to tribute bands like the LSO churning out music by the long-dead?

Personally, I saw and heard the Stones at Twickenham just a few years ago. They were great and a good deal better than in the mid-80s, in part because they played almost entirely the songs of their youth. After all, who hasn’t been to a gig and been saddened to hear the words: “And the next one is from our most recent album”?

2 Likes

Never felt that, I am always up for hearing the new material. Possibly because I would mostly go to see bands in smaller venues so tend to see younger bands who are on the way up.

As for the Stones, I remember watching them on the TV coverage of Glastonbury a few years back and thought it was like watching a cabaret act, very disappointing. The audience seemed to love them which is good as they paid their money to see them, I guess I am the one who is out of step.

2 Likes