Not Naim but Good Enough CD players

Funny to read here on the Naim forum, so little love for the CD5SI… as if it were a worthless player…

I’m using this TEAC VRDS-9 as a transport into the SuperNait’s internal DAC - of which I am one of the sparse fans - with very satisfying results.
As a standalone player it is a little more open and wide-staged than with the SN’s DAC, but also a little more ‘generic’.

5 Likes

The CD5 si is a good choice at a certain point, I get excellent results , I have tweaked mine to get as good a performance as I can, but I have had better models from Naim, what this thread is really about is Naim’s lack of stand alone players or heresy CD transport.

Naim’s traditional business model has been based on a hierarchy o f good,better and best. I… Atom, Star and Nova.

My view is the CD 5 si is at the good point and there are no better and best offerings.

1 Like

Love the picture of your CD transport, I also remember the reviews for that machine , which were drooling :drooling_face: to say the least.

These days, I think the Pro-Ject RS2 would be the nearest equivalent.

1 Like

Yes, I use it directly connected to my DAC in the main system. It also acts as a server for other devices around the house.

2 Likes

Yes, I do this using an old Apple Airport Express. It works very nicely.

2 Likes

So… the Core can connect direct (via S/PDIF) - but - also needs an Ethernet connection to control it…? Which could be done via a WiFi adaptor.

2 Likes

It benefits significantly when used with a clock. I tried it with the LHY OCK-2 and an Audioquest Diamond coax.

1 Like

Yes. I use an old iPad mini 2 as the interface.

1 Like

Can’t you swap your player + money adjust for a naim ndac and core?
Otherwise picking any of these would be my choice:
Accuphase
Esoteric
Metronome

1 Like

Absolutely, I’m fully aware of the improvements brought about by a master clock. Currently, I’m using an external master clock with all my existing DACs and DDCs, so I’m not surprised that you find the clock brings significant improvement.

@Richard.Dane i too was using the Airport Exoress into the Dac of the Rega Saturn. The Saturn was the transport. Ok until the AE and Saturn both died.

I find the AE pretty nasty as a music player, even when used with a decent DAC, but fine as a wireless bridge.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane Thanks. My streaming is now very different. I am using an ND5XS2. Hard wired with Ethernet from the streamer to the router. When we renovated we were able to do this for the first time.

Thanks for all your service on here.

No problems whatsoever with a CDT-XR player had one for nearly 2 years now. The issues with early versions of servo evolution (SE) was the software, cyrus developed their own coding to make the transport read the disc right first time and not rely on error correction.
From the cdi- onwards ( now xr series) with new loader they are extremely reliable

1 Like

After completing my system over the last 13yrs I have recently considered adding a Cd player again! The logic being that I have many CDs that have never been released on vinyl and that cd SQ is “Better” than streaming SQ. I’ve owned cd players from Denon, Marantz, Audiolab and Naim in the past but never really got on with them. Now however, I own an NDS/CD555PS which as a DAC should be pretty awesome. This thread has made me think about adding a transport. Initially I thought about an Audiolab 6000CDT but the more I read/watch about the 9000CDT the more I think this is the way to go for anyone who owns a Naim DAC. The CDS3 is a bargain right now and I do posses a spare XPS2 but buying a CDS3 is a gamble and the mech will ultimately fail. So, I do wonder whether a 9000CDT thru an NDS/CD555PS DAC would equal/beat a CDS3/XPS2. For me, this is the route I think I will take but would be great to know if anyone has compared an Audiolab transport thru a Naim DAC to A CDS3. Wishful thinking I know but you never know.

5 Likes

I spent the last few months researching CD Transports and posted a thread on this forum and another forum seeking peoples recommendations, do a search to find it and I also read many professional reviews online.
After all that effort I shortlisted to the Jays Audio transports ( depending on how much you wanted to spend), the Cyrus CDT-XR and the Moon 260DT.
I ordered the Moon 260DT and am now waiting delivery, it has an AES conection which I will use which also allows me to optimise another digital input into my streamer/DAC to get another uplift in performance from another source.

2 Likes

There’s a dealer in London who swears by the synergy of Esoteric sources with Naim amplification. If you really want to go for something at CD555 sort of level they have an extreme 4 box player (transport, master clock, mono DACs), but it will make you very poor. Though they have more affordable transports and stereo DACs too.

Personally, I’d go the affordable TEAC VRDS route into a Naim streamer and consider that the closest thing you’ll get to a Naim CD player these days. But if a streamer isn’t your thing, the Esoteric offerings might warrant consideration.

I’m a huge fan of Luxman players but they don’t seem to gel with Naim amps so can’t really recommend them in this scenario.

3 Likes

I must admit the Moon had passed under my radar but it looks a very viable option, please let us know your impressions once it’s installed especially with your SN3 and HiCap which is the same set up as my own

1 Like

Always best to check with Naim direct but my understanding is they can still repair CDS3’s provided they have the newer Phillips Mech, you will know this by the type of magnetic puck the player is using. As you say, these can be had a very low prices and are great players with a very easy listening sound.

2 Likes