Nova and External Hard Drives

Naim’s specs for the Nova state the following:

Store up to 20,000 tracks to a local USB connected storage device and serve to a network-connected player.
External portable SSD – max. 1TB
USB sticks – max. 128 GB.

I have a 1TB SSD, but I would like to store over 20,000 tracks - close to twice that. Full disclosure - these would be 256/320 lossy versions of my lossless library. Will I have difficulty? Or should I plan on culling for this purpose? There was a thread from a couple of years ago that suggests that these specs may have some wiggle room.

Sounds like they wouldn’t exceed any storage capacity limitations, but I believe there is a limit to the number of files the servers can index(?)

I’ve never come across any music player, including various Naim streamers, that has an actual limit on the amount of storage it can handle. My guess is that any quoted maximum in the spec is just the largest capacity the designer has tested. For example, I certainly have no problem with a 256 USB stick in a Naim streamer.
If your files have reasonable metadata you will want to view them from the Server input so that you can browse them properly. A large library can take a while to be scanned before it all becomes visible, although this might not be a problem with smaller lossy files.

1 Like
1 Like

Hmmm - I have 4,000 albums and about 40,000 tracks.

Ah, so there we have it… no limits on either but I guess things would get a tad sluggish with 100,000 tracks!!!

I have a 1TB external ssd connected to my 272, filled with albums. Not a single issue.

1 Like

I think the OP wants to serve music to their network and I don’t think the 272 has a built-in server. Mine didn’t.

Roger

It’s mostly just for my Nova - as a backup to my main server. And fortunately the file structure I use mimics my search methodology on my server.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.