Nova and Super Lumina Speaker Cables

The other aspect that can be improved for a Nova is the network switch and ethernet cabling, if you are brave enough for that rabbit hole!

I keep looking at SL but think the price vs the improvement is NOT worth it vs NACA5.

I suppose it depends on the OP end game, if it is to stay with a Nova then probably not VFM unless money is not an issue or the SL is a good price s/hand.

With my Nova - i estimate i have spent Ā£8,000 on a server, switch, fraim, streaming cables and SR power cables, fuses and support aids.

All have squeezed more and more from the Nova, my view is GIGO, you could have an ND555 system but if setup poorly it will sound poor.

Point being if you ever upgrade these addā€™ons can go with you, but if you donā€™t its overly OCD tweaked.

Closing point get some SR products and the Fraim was by far the biggest let down by a long way.

2 Likes

@freedomsounds sorry I canā€™t help you but you may yet get answers. And adding to this post will keep it alive. My query is related in that Iā€™d also love super lumina cables but theyā€™re fairly out of my current budget. However, as Iā€™ve seen some 8m SH SL for sale Iā€™m wondering how much it would cost to have the cable split into three lengths and new plugs added to all ends. This could all be split in cost by three willing parties. My system only needs max 1.5m length cable either side.

Judging by the cost of Naim SL speaker jump cables the major cost is the labour cost of assembling the connectors, not so much the cable itself. I would assume Naim would have to do the connectors in the split speaker cables, so might not be that inexpensive after all. Perhaps someone who has tried this can comment?

I have the same questioning. My speakers cables are already better vs the naca 5. I know the SL will be better vs mine, but how better ? And is it worth 5k, because I need 2X 6m?
And I canā€™t test any at home, no dealer have Superlumina speakers cables in France.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I thought SL are basically Vertere cabling.

So it has been said on the forum, no clue myself.

I downsized from a very expensive system all the way to a Nova because of health reasons. I never considered downsizing my 7 meter SL speaker cables.

Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t because I turned around and went back the other way (ND555, 555PS, SN3, HCDR, SL DIN/DIN). Iā€™ve since replaced the SL DIN/DIN with an Ansuz DIN/DIN but kept the SL speaker cable.

Your Nova will sound better with SL vs NACA 5 and you will eventually have a system that will more easily justify the cost. It happened to me.

Just to put things in perspective an Ansuz Supreme power cable lists for $40K!. What kind of system justifies that cost?

2 Likes

Hi @freedomsounds, I have SL Speaker Cables with my Nova running for one year now. I also have the SL Speaker Links installed. Bought both pre lovedā€¦ @Ants did described the effect of SL SC with Nova perfectly. I couldnā€™t have described it better. I can confirm his words completely even though I had different cables before (HMS Concertato Cables with HMS Speaker Links).

The music sounds easily more natural and spacious. It most certainly sounds more ā€žliveā€œ and bit clearer. I even can hear the singer smacking now between his words. I swapped a lot between my two speaker cables to verify the effect. The funny thing about it was that I could hear all the details with the HMS cables afterwards too, but I did not realized them before without the SL Speaker Cables. Thatā€™s perhaps the best compliment speaker cables can get. As Ants described perfectly right a very noticeable change was the improvement in bass, it became tighter and middle/top end opened up a lot. I liked that a lot.

All in all I can turn up the volume a bit more now before something gets annoying. A good thing because I like to hear my music loud. I would buy the SL Speaker Cables and Speaker Links again, at least for the pre loved price. Good luck with the decision.

5 Likes

Thanks ptplayers, I have never heard of the true signal sound transfer cables or the silver. The only other speaker cables I have tried on the nova was a the Tellurium Q Black l l & in the time spent with them I did not find then as convincing as the Naca5s. Which really started me to think that with a Naim system there cabling is so well integrated into there equipment that anything other than would bring forth a less than positive result. I really, really noticed that after upgrading to a Powerline The transformation was holographic in imaging. I am not casting that statement in stone, because anything is possible, but at this point i am starting to finding it hard to believe that i can find the same magical sound symmetry within a Naim system without using Naim cabling. Again emphasis on ā€Iā€.

I used to have that same way of thinking as well , until i demoed and purchased the The true signal (which used to be the cable supplier for chord ) .i have also compared the TS power cord against the powerline with better results , which i have it plugged into core .
I am pretty much using all TS cables in my system now .

My system is
252/sc
nds
xps-2 dr
core
Neat Ekstraā€™s

Hey man @ptplayers, great system, that will show up any flaws in your cabling. Will definitely look into them. Thanks.

Hey @arekey I just want to say thank you for your informative information. It is very helpful being that I like listening to my tunes on the loud side also.

In all this discourse so far has brought forth a lot of valuable information by all who have posted so far. I hope we can keep this going so the next guy will not have to look to far for the same info.

1 Like

@ptplayers I wanted to ask you about your experience with TS power cord running of of your Core ? What changes did you notice ? I kinda assumed that because the Core is just a sever that it would not benefit so much from a upgrade power cord ? I have a Core also.

I use a Melco as a music server, rather than a Core and when I added a Powerline to it, it made a difference. Just darker, lower noise floor and more natural presentation. The AC power cord did make a difference.

I am also very curious to try a few True Signals offerings like a power cord, speaker cables, RCA interconnects and ethernet cables.

@Ants Thanks again I am going to switch the Core powerline (lite) out and see what difference I notice.

@freedomsounds I have been leary when changing cables in the past , does your mind make your ears think its better when its really not !
When i plugged the TS power cord into my 300 first there was a noticeable improvement with everything sounding better , then i tried it on my xps-dr with no improvement .

Lastly the core as i was told by 2 other users her in Canada that have cores and ts power cords and i could not believe my ears , better bass/mids/highs , more swing .

I tried the Core with a Powerline (Fat) and found that in my system it mudded and over shadowed the natural clarity of the sound to much, like to much Hi-fi. And it did add more bass, highs & more punch to the performance, but at the cost of sonic clarity. I kinda wondered if it may have sounded a bit different if SL SC where being used along with.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.