Nova display corruption

Good idea! :grin: Thank God for spinny discs. They just seem to work. All this computer based stuff is great but so buggy and frustrating.

BTW, your image is showing up on my iPad and iPhone. Suggest restart iPhone. Sorts almost all problems out.

2 Likes

With major and minor updates already done on ios13, I am surprised it is still bad. As I said earlier, I’ll wait until the inter tubes gives the all clear. Nowt wrong with my iPhone and iPad and I cant see anything I need from the update so it can wait, despite iPad getting naggy about me not doing it yet.

2 Likes

My Atom once had a complete meltdown and the screen looked a bit like yours.

It was only a few months old, and I thought about taking it back to my dealer, but after a restart it was fine and it hasn’t happened again.

1 Like

I work on a PC but I guess the principle is the same for Mac - it might be that you need to clear your history/cache on your devices to get images to appear. On Windows 10, their own Browser ‘Edge’ sometimes fails to load some websites updates I have made unless I close all tabs, and clear history/cache - this is despite seeing the changes have been made in Chrome / Firefox / Opera!

1 Like

What problems have you found with iOS 13? It’s been working fine for me.

I don’t have ios13 because I am still reading about mail app problems, no ringing on phone calls, dropped calls etc. Etc. Ios12 is working fine for me and the goodies in ios13 aren’t that interesting to me, so I’m happy to stay on 12 for now.

I think he was replying to my comments about iOS13. Most of my issues have been related to various apps freezing, but the phone calls often don’t ring, or stop ringing when a call is incoming and the alarm won’t ring after again after snooze is selected The Mac updates froze both of my computers with one of them crashing twice during the installation of the new OS.

@Alley_Cat, did you get it sorted?

I’ve only just got in, will hopefully have a chance to look at it later. Thanks for asking.

The Atom started with some intermittent issues but they became worse and worse - difficult to know if this is a software glitch or a fault in the display hardware, it could be either - if it’s the latter I’d be concerned there might be an effect on sound quality.

All very odd.

OK, best of luck!

Factory reset didn’t help :frowning:

I think it’s likely to be hardware related.

I’ve just reverted to an older firmware and that seems to still show the issue.

It’s quite funky/pretty in some ways :slight_smile:

That’s the worst luck bearing in mind your experience with the Atom. Guess it has to go back home for a sound thrashing. It’s such a shame because the Nova is basically a stonkingly good product and worth every penny.

What’s odd too is that on restarting the display looks ok for a few seconds then the abnomality sort of ‘fades in’ and the actual display anomaly changes as the display content does.

I’d be sending it back, but it’s heartbreaking to be without it while Naim repair it. Just got my Nova back from Naim after having the volume wheel replaced ( it went all gritty like the grease leaked out or something). Took 2 weeks which I think was pretty good.

An update on this.

I recently unplugged the Nova for several hours when trying the Powerline on another component.

The display fault has disappeared for several days now after an extended power down - a brief disconnection of the power cable (1-2 minutes at most, if that) and factory reset did not solve it.

All seems rather odd, but will watch and wait for now.

1 Like

How did you find the powerline on the Nova?

Utterly sublime.

I demoed an NDX 2 shortly after release against the Nova (with it’s variable line out).

At the time, the NDX 2 won hands down, I can’t recall if I ran it into olive NAC72/NAP 250 or was trying the dealer’s NAC 282. At the time, I opted to get the NAC 282 to go with my olive NAP 250 instead as I thought it would give an all round boost as I had a rekindled interest in vinyl after finding my missing LP12 platter, and also had an Oppo UDP-205.

Recently I borrowed the NDX 2 again, and to my surprise the difference seemed marginal at best, and after a couple of weeks of A/B listening I could not justify the cost of the NDX 2, wondering if money would be better spent on a new cartridge and other upgrades to my LP12.

I had by this time had several olive items serviced by Class A, and had got my active SBLs out of storage to replace the old faithful Epos ES14s (normally relegated to rear surround speakers in the AV room).

I was rather baffled by not jumping for the NDX 2 - having been unhappy with several firmware updates for the Nova sonically I’d stuck until recently with a 2017 firmware.

Had Nova firmware improvements caught up with the NDX 2 sound? Had the Nova had a detrimental firmware update? Was the active SBL system just more synergistic with the Nova?

I really have no idea why the NDX 2 didn’t captivate me second time around, it was better but I had a gut feeling it really needed a PSU upgrade to sing which would have doubled the cost.

I tried a 5 pin-5 pin DIN HiLine between NDX 2 and NAC 282 (incompatible with Nova output) and again it didn’t bowl me over.

I’d never tried a Powerline but could remember attending a Naim HDX demo at the time of release when the addition of Powerline and PSUs took the HDX to another level.

Suffice to say swapping Powerline Lite for demo Powerline was a revelation and I was amazed that having vacillated for weeks with NDX 2 vs Nova the Powerline on the Nova brought immediate significant benefits at an eighth of the cost of the NDX 2.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for the detailed response. I have a pre-loved coming, but have 4 black boxes with power leads. My dealer says add it to the XPS DR as a source upgrade to NDX2 first. I’m keen though to get another one for the Nova next year, you’ve just reaffirmed my thoughts thanks.

The NDX 2 had gone back by the time I tried the Powerline and in hindsight I’d have liked to have heard the NDX 2 with the Powerline vs Nova/Powerline.

I bought the store’s Powerline and have a second on demo - sadly lack of time, fiddly equipment access, pressing family matters and a multitude of permutations are confusing me.

Interestingly, the Powerline brings an uplift on my Linn Linto phono pre-amp which may justify one alone! It also does something to the LP12 Lingo PSU.

Not convinced by 2nd Powerline on olive HICAP to NAC 282, and putting both Powerlines on the NAP 250s sounded rather bright. Not sure my NAXO is 100% so not sure testing powerline on that HICAP is entirely valid. Read somewhere that a Powerline on the NAC 282’s NAPSC work very well, not tried that yet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.