nova+Harbeth 40 p3 Bloated, swollen, mushy!

When I first moved to CA, I discovered that the previous owner had a lot of built-in speakers hidden everywhere in the living room/dining room/kitchen/bedrooms, it cost me a bunch of cash to hire some contractors to come in and took them all out, because I did not want these speakers destroy/pollute the sound of my HIFI system.

1 Like

The magnets in the speakers and electronics are most likely all interfering with each other

That is why you should never audition speakers where there are other speakers in the room

1 Like

I remember that being a very BIG issue for a time.

These days if I would not do a demo with any other speakers in the room …

An argument Linn won hands down I think

2 Likes

A bit of common sense should prevail. Once this really starts to matter, I’d be more worried if the speakers are the right choice at all.

In case of the OP, troubleshooting issues is pretty simple: go back to the baseline. Remove all unwanted stuff, fancy cables, slot in the Linn K20 and switch off the hairdryer, TV etc …

If it still does not sound fine, buy some cheap easy to drive loudspeakers and see if is better.

These P3’s are known to be picky. Sometimes they work, sometimes they does not.

1 Like

One reads this or similar often in the Forum, and I wonder why. According to “Stereophile”:

“The Harbeth is claimed to be ‘easy to drive,’ and indeed, its plot of impedance magnitude and phase revealed that to be the case.”

So I would have thought neither Nova nor Star should struggle…

1 Like

I’ve had an epiphany these days! It’s not electricity, vibration or positioning at all. There are different sound defects and lack of control in the performance of the all-in-one machine these two days. My expectations are too high or I can’t meet my listening requirements. No matter how I toss, I plan to sell it second-hand and prepare to replace it with 202 200 + ndx2. Goodbye star and Nova

1 Like

That’s all very well and good, but nothing will sound right with 6 speakers stacked up against each other……

Could you explain why you have three pairs of speakers, and why one pair of the small ones is directly in front of another pair? Do you need them all?

Before selling things and spending more, have you tried moving four of the speakers into another room?

2 Likes

It used to be a big NO-NO to have more than one speaker in the room, & it was for good reason(s), non-working cones resonating is just one.

Because I’m an enthusiast. I like it. I’ve tried all kinds of postures and methods. I’ve tried before and after the test, and tried to change the tripod. In short, I’ve tossed and understood. Upgrading to hifi level is the last word.

1 Like

You should really try to remove all the stuff you don’t use , just to try at least. It will take you 5 minutes. You will be fixed if it’s really a Nova problem or something else.

1 Like

I have the P3 with a Nova, and they are “complicated”

On their day , crystal clear, beautiful harmonics - fantastic vocals and good if not exciting bass

On the other hand…

They are “complicated”

1 Like

Your response is very similar to your previous responses. You appear to believe you know best, so you ignore all the thoughtful advice that people have given. We give freely of our time to try to help. Why don’t you just move two pairs of speakers out of the room and set the remaining pair up properly? If you won’t at least try the advice you are given, we cannot help you and our time is wasted. You can buy better equipment but if you set it up badly it will still sound bad. If you really are an enthusiast, this should be obvious.

7 Likes

You might be enthusiastic, but you don’t understand the basics of audio reproduction with more than one speaker pair in the room.

1 Like

Who am I to doubt the findings of an happy owner!

I had to double check those photos, It looks more like one of those dealer demo rooms they rarely use that ends up piled up with kit they can’t find a place for :laughing:

I’d concur with the community here (for what it’s worth) the room and the setup are very important, you could throw money at this and be staring at the (free) solution in front of your eyes.

I’d declutter everything apart from the Nova and preferred speakers, including the TV (even if you really need it there and it goes back soon after), all of these objects interact with each other and will interact with the sound between your speaker drivers and your ears.

Moving stuff about and experimenting with positioning and speaker setup costs nothing but a little of your time.

3 Likes

Gents, I fear you are indeed wasting your time. Clearly, well informed advice is not taken on board. Three threads, three strikes – astonishing really. I often wonder though why people ask for advice, and then appear most reluctant to try out what they were told by those with the best intentions to help a desperate fellow enthusiast. Puzzling really…

3 Likes

Certainly when they are easy and free, which isn’t always the case!

There is no problem with the speaker and equipment next to me. The space is like this. It can’t move and sticks. I’ll verify whether nova is high pitched or boring. It lacks extension. Is it good for you to use high pitched? Can you answer me, is it high pitched? Is it very good?

No more questions mate, you don’t listen to the replies and advice.
Your setup is like a hifi shop , not a home listening room.
You say you are an enthusiast…all the gear and no idea springs to mind.
Adios

10 Likes