Nova - Heat control

Ha…I give up! Simon and Garfunkel at 65 just made me submit! Still barely hot. Yeah…the cables are making a difference. Plus Apple Music Hi-res kicked in today…

1 Like

Glad to hear that NACA5 is making a positive difference.

2 Likes

Yes. A clear difference. And, I just plugged the Nova straight into what is a dedicated circuit. Another clear step up. Geeze…I was doing 70-90? no more…right now 60 is blasting.

2 Likes

OK…I was cleaning so I put on Afro Celt SS at 75, when finished I checked…the Nova is quite hot. Didn’t shut down, again my ears gave in. And without fan. Nor Powerline. But direct in wall as noted. Sound is pretty darn spectacular.

With the NAC A5 cables and now plugged direct, it’s louder. I don’t know I’ll hit 90 (granted that was a short burst) again. Or 80. 75 now is crazy loud. I peeked sheepishly out the front door to see if neighbors were gathering with pitchforks.

2 Likes

Hello, i’m here - was busy doing the day job :slight_smile: (I’ve actually been in our demo room having a lovely long listen with a reviewer - been a long time since we’ve been able to do that!)

Glad that cables and a direct mains connection has definitely helped matters - sometimes less is more!

2 Likes

Do you think the Powerline will also help with heat? Though, I’m at 56 at the moment and it is not too hot at all, so really it’s much better. Fine product! Really. For me, a guy that crawled on my hands and knees for a living (flooring installations) that’s a significant expenditure. So far tho, I’m thrilled. I wondered if it was unnecessary as the Atom is a fine unit which sounded great with the Choras. But…I had no idea the Choras could sound like this. I really thought it would be glaringly apparent I was under-speakered. Not true. They have handled whatever I’ve dared throw them…with aplomb

1 Like

I’ve got dedicated lines with 12/3 Romex and 20 amp breakers - you should be fine with that.

Check out AC Infinity fans - great inexpensive little things and pretty quiet. I run a set in the server closet and one upstairs with the opticalRendu. Can be run from USB or a 5V USB wall wart. They also make ones that can sit under a device and blow up, or on top and pull, but one of the little arial ones set on low next to the hot side of the Nova just might do the trick and let you sleep better at night (and watch your hearing, no joke and not worth it, from this tinnitus ridden ex-rock photographer).

1 Like

Thank you, and yes. At the moment it’s very mellow Larry Coryell at 33…

Powerline helps with everything :grinning:

But seriously - try it in your system. If it doesn’t help, send it back.

1 Like

Really? That’s pretty cool.

Lol…listening to the Police, Synchronicity, at 65…OK…I give up. Yes. The cables made a big difference. Now anything above 65 seems outlandish, dangerous. And again…the 816s are like “bring it on baby, we love to rock.” But the improvement is really fun. And I am looking forward to the NAC A5s “burning in” and then adding the Powerline…wow am I content. I really haven’t mentioned the long phone meeting I had with a Linn representative…he poo pooed the Nova. Right.

2 Likes

Your phone meeting is making me curious

1 Like

He talked as if Naim was a second thought, not even to be compared to Linn…he said since Linn and Naim have stopped working together (?) (Linn made speakers for Naim?) that Linn has ascended while Naim is commercial I guess was his insinuation.

Yeah but why did you even talk to them heretics? :wink:

1 Like

Right. He was such a snob.

I cannot gush enough about how happy I am. And you! and Clare…here to help…it’s fantastic. I doubt the Linn snobs :rofl: have that!

1 Like

…plus he said what I should do is buy a used Linn piece. That way I could get the Linn streamer in the Nova’s price range.

There was at least a very close relationship in the beginning, I guess it was easier when each companies had their specialties and did not play on the other’s turf.

I am guessing he was alluding to Naim-Focal’s corporate overlords - whatever, just words, it all has to survive based on sound and user experience. Best of luck to them and a healthy hifi market for everyone

1 Like

Yeah well you could also buy a used Nova. In any case, you’d have to try to know

1 Like