Nova or Supernait

Does look nice, I had a Marantz one many years back that was similar!
If you frequent these channels often enough you’ll see certain patterns of preference around the various levels of the Naim portfolio, lots of folks like Rega 8 or 10 turntables, the Linn LP12 has a solid following. A lot of people also find themselves liking and leaning towards a Chord DAC as another example. Kudos Titan speakers are a popular choice in a 500 system, the list goes on!
Also a lot of folks here have successfully mixed and matched Naim products in a more varied system, and not ended up with a system built 100% around Naim products. There is an assumed benefit with that approach, they are voiced and optimised to work well with each other and certain combinations of products do hit a certain sweet spot and become more popular as a result.
I’ve mixed and matched myself a fair bit over system changes, I’ve ended up with a balance between system complexity, financial investment, and ultimately time to enjoy it all.
Ideally, anything you find you might like, get it on a loan for a week or two and try it at home. I’ve heard components myself in the past at my local dealer, thought “wow, that’s transformational, I must have this at home” then tried it at home and ultimately chosen not to add it.
It’s also nice to experiment at times, add a different DAC, try a different source, I did that recently with a tape deck as an example.
Enjoy the evaluation anyway, come back here as you try out options and I’m sure you’ll get some comments and guidance as you go.

1 Like

Great advice again! I guess also a lot of the fun is trying different cominations, I know I’ve had a good time doing this and I do have a Yamaha amp with meters so if I need a fix occasionally it’s covered!

Really?

Yes, there was something wonderfully open and enticing in the sound of the Linn 1.1, and it made anything I played it thru sound great. For a while, I was just running it thru an SU and it was excellent.
But you definitely made the right choice IMO. If I had bought a Naim CDP at the time, I’d still have it, and from what I’ve read here, they sound fantastic.

1 Like

Had a demo of Auralic Aries G2.1, (both Naim streamers were on home demo and it is half way between them in terms of price and sound,) with SN3 -v- Burmester 101 and PMC23i’s. Going back this week for a second listen to both amps. I will probably be taking the 101 home, it was excellent.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.