Nova speakers pairing

I finally decided on Kanta 2 or Olympica II … I like a warmer timbre, I listen rather quietly, which should work better? Unfortunately, I have to buy it blind, at most I can sell.

The Kanta 2 appear to have a relatively high sensitivity so should (in theory) excite quite early on with very little volume on the dial, even from a low powered but high quality amplifier. The Nova will be fine for low level listening with the Kanta 2 speakers. I’ve been weighing these up myself of late, albeit for my NDX 2/SN3 quad box combo…

This is news Stephen after your n-SATS joy!

Hi Chris, my n-SATs are still doing the business of course. I’m looking to put them into a second system, maybe with something like an Atom.

My main system will require new speakers, and yes i’ve been looking at the Focal range and for something that is a lot more substantial in the lower octaves, but not too much of course. The Kanta 2’s are in my sights. I love their aesthetics too, especially in their Ivory livery.

2 Likes

I heard Kanta 3 and Olympica Nova III recently, if you like warm and silky take the Olympica. (Actually, personally I’d say take the Olympica full stop). It has 90 dB sensitivity and the Kanta has 91, so that shouldn’t make a difference

Gosh, more excitement ahead. A second system is great fun if you can get to use it regularly. It seems only yesterday you had that big long thread about whether to try streaming……

1 Like

Anybody use Nova with ATC SCM40?

I have Nova powering both Neat iotas and Neat Xplorers at the same time and they sound magical
especially when you position yourself in between all 4 speakers.

How do you cable this?

Sorry but I cannot explain as my dealer set it all up.

Last week I was in Vienna and happened to see a dealer who had a lot of Naim products in the exhibition. He had Kudos, Neat and other loudspeaker manufacturers in his program.

His clear recommendation for the Nova:

Neat Orkestra

And if the room is smaller, then the Neat Ekstra

Who has experience with it?

1 Like

I’m currently using Neat Momentum SX7i’s with a Nova and to my ears it’s a superb pairing, these reataled at around £8k so in theory are way out of balance as a pairing but they really do sound magical with the Nova. I’m going to get the upgraded Naim power cable as suggested in this thread to see if it makes an improvement,

2 Likes

I have active SCM40s but have also auditioned the passive version, but driven by a 250DR rather than a Nova. IMHO the 250 is the minimal Naim power amp I’d use; a 300 would be even more appropriate. The design of ATCs means they are not particularly efficient and respond strongly to more power and control from the power amp. FWIW the amp packs on my actives are over 240 watts. I really don’t think a Nova is up to the job, but I confess I have not heard the combination.

The other thing about ATCs (actually any brand of speakers, in my experience) is that tastes matter. I love mine, they are definitely endgame speakers for me, but they are extremely revealing and do not appeal to all tastes. I don’t listen to much rock so others are better qualified to comment on their suitability, but they are brilliant with, for example, voices, piano (the founder and boss is a semi-pro jazz pianist) and acoustic material generally. But for rock, I’d definitely recommend an audition first.

Roger

I have one on order, demoed it for about three seconds and decided to get it - the difference is significant

2 Likes

Feel free to give feedback on the cable. I have an AQZ3 on it, which has brought a noticeable improvement.

Has anyone tried Triangle with Nova?

Testing Spendor A4 with start today

Next Session: Linn Majik 140

Speaker with a price point a lot of people here suggested

3 Likes

Hello,

Loudspeakers for the Nova, the topic can be found here in some places. I have also had experience with it and would just like to report.

I have changed from the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 and the Uniti Star to the T&A Criterion 2100 and later then exchanged the Star to a Nova. Later I had a good deal on a used NAP250DR and am now running that on the Nova. The Star and the Dynaudio are now running in the office.
The T&A speaker was always a little hung up and I felt like it was losing details. I had compared it at the time with B&W 702 and the smaller T&A 2000. Had liked me then very well and had even tested that at home. But somehow I did not become happy. So the plan was to buy a new speaker.
Luck came to it, because I got the T&A immediately for a super price sold.
Now testing stood on the program. All speakers I heard at home with me over several days.

Spendor A4:
Tonally great, fast, lively. The speaker was a lot of fun. Volume and bass were a bit lacking, though. Spendor A7, unfortunately, I could not hear test. Might have been just right, but I didn’t want to buy a speaker without listening at home.

Geithain ME150 (not very well known here)
An extremely good speaker with a naturalness and spatial imaging that I have not heard before. However, the problem I had with the T&A reappeared. New recordings with a lot of bass stimulate to drone in my room.There was just too much in the bass range.

Geithain ME110
The number smaller then tried. It didn’t have the bass volume, of course. Unfortunately, the voices and the instruments then also lacked the natural body and the speaker seemed rather bright in the overall sound image. I found for long-term listening not ideal.

Linn Majik 140
Great speaker. Just the right balance in the bass, so everything had a good natural body, but in the bass it still worked well in my room. In addition, I was able to place them close to the wall. For me, the maximum distance is 30cm, which makes the bass issue also not easy. However, I lacked a little spatiality with the speaker. Consideration was to throw out Naim and to operate the Linn active and to work with the Linn room optimization. But then I was unsure and gave another speaker a chance.

Audio Physic Classic 25
My wife was thrilled by the look and I by the sound.Insanely spacious, punchy and fast like the Spendor but with enough foundation and bass. Very balanced in my room. Have permanently wiggled my foot while listening and often listened all the way through the records. Forgot about the speaker and just listened to music. I then ordered this one and will get it delivered tomorrow. As accessories I ordered the VCF II MAGNETIC PLUS SPEAKER feet directly.These have again made a difference to the spikes.

What was also my experience that from my point of view it does not matter whether the speaker has 4 or 8Ohm as a specification. All speakers had a sensitivity of 85 to 89db and I heard them all at similar volume control on the Nova between 25 to 40.
All speakers had a sensitivity of 85 to 89db and I heard them all at similar volume control on the Nova.

Now I’m looking forward to tomorrow and if there will be peace then regarding speaker selection and speaker satisfaction. :slight_smile:

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.