Nova to New Classics or Old Classic?

I can certainly recommend the NDX2 and Supernait 3 combination. I intend to add a power supply in due course.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a great combination Dutus , yes

You could, right now, buy new the NDX2, XPS DR (on discount) and a NAP 250 DR for $30K. A used 282 and HiCAP around $7K now on TM, a set just sold used from Paul Money advertised at $8K. So around $38K. The 300 DR is on discount at $13K, so in place of the 250 DR you would be at $40K. Or hold out for a used 252, they are rare, I sold one recently, and you would still have change from your $45K, and be way ahead of the 3 new boxes. Though you need a rack, so you should break even (there are Fraim out there in the used market).

Agreed Mike

Whatever way one looks at it the discounted classics are an absolute bargain vs the new classics :+1:

2 Likes

I saw them on TM too Mike_S.
Thats what got me thinking if i could build a better? ( objective i know ) system if i had the spare cash with the old classics.

Hopefully you wereā€™nt too affected from the cyclone?
Shocking images coming out of the east coast.

1 Like

Actually, there is a used 52/SC out there tooā€¦.

Like you, I had a Nova (actually still have it with the TV in our lounge). I now have NDX2/555PS/552/300 and the only new box is the NDX2. Buying used can get you into some seriously good gear, though I went through a few interactions. Fewer steps is better, but if you start with a good source, then swapping out used amps is pretty cost effective. I think that undoubtedly, for the same money, you could build a much better system for the same cost. You just have to be happy with the warranty and servicing issues.

Weā€™re in Northland and have a lot of damage from the cyclone, but apart from Dargaville our towns arenā€™t in flood plains and we donā€™t have that same massive flooding of towns. We actually had more rain and stronger winds, so a lot of structural damage and road slips. SH1 to Auckland is closed indefinitely at the moment.

1 Like

Im ndx2 sn3 scdr, i run tunetots, whic are fairly demanding and i have absolutely no regrets about not waiting for nsc223 and new 250. I tested against nova and 272/250. For the money its a superb combination just like the new classic components. Id base my decision on how much power your speakers need. Im usually the first one to want to upgrade, and im continually delighted

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.