Nova with MA silver 300

Thanks glasnaim!

+1 for PMCā€™s Twenty5.23 ā€“ but I am biased, as these are the speakers we haveā€¦ I can confirm that these arenā€™t fuzzy about placement. Lovely speakers really, but there can be issues when the room is too bright. At first, we sort of ruled them out, as they sounded too bright in the dealerā€™s somewhat ā€œspartanisticā€ demo room. There we much preferred Neatā€™s SX1, but these didnā€™t work in our house. I am glad we gave the PMCs a chance in our home. They blew the budget (to be honest), but I couldnā€™t let them goā€¦

Thanks for the insights Naim_The_Dragon , do you think standmounts would be better for my situation?

Since your speakers are very close to the TV/Media unit, the stand mounts might be more suitable, but my gut feeling is that the 23 would work too. They have a very modest foot print and are front-ported. And they didnā€™t have much space in our old house ā€“ in the ā€œTV cornerā€ left of the fireplace. It was a box-standard UK semi-detachedā€¦ So our space wasnā€™t great ā€“ but we felt they worked rather well if not surprisingly well, which was confirmed by multiple friends who make a living in classical musicā€¦

But please take this advice with caution. Others have more experience than me, but I am sure they will ship in too!! :smile:

All speakers have positioning requirements. To get the best sound takes time and effort, though of course some speakers are more fussy than others. You have a nice big room so big speakers should be fine, though probably not these big speakers. If you are close to the wall rear ports can virtually be ruled out. But whatever you do, try them at home first.

here Dealers donā€™t allow home tests, so I may have a big issue with the speaker selection.

One thing is clear I should be looking for front ported speakers. Other question is should I look for stand mount or floorstanders.

I think if you originally liked the current floorstanders for presumably for their bass response, jumping to stand mounted my leave you feeling lacking in bass extension. Careful demo at the dealer would be needed.

One option would be to go for stand mounts (ideally sealed box) and add a sub woofer if you arenā€™t getting enough bass. I run N-Sats with a sub into my Nova and am very happy.

2 Likes

Headphones.

1 Like

Or atc scm11 that I use with my nova

1 Like

Patia
Before changing anything there are a few ways you could improve what you already have.
What is your floor plan of the room, it might be possible to reorientate everything so there IS room for the speakersā€¦

1 Like

How long have you had the speakers? I have the Silver 300s and they take a lot of hours to run in. MA recommendation is 50 - 70 hours and even after that the speakers will continue to improve. I use them with the Atom , which is a great pairing. I know it shouldnā€™t work given the wattage but Iā€™m happy with this combo so the Nova has more than enough power.

Yes i liked MA 300, as i had auditioned Nova with quite a few brands Elacs, Kef, Q acoustics, SVS, Focal, Neats, dynaudio etc. and found MA silver 300 , Neats momentum and KEF R700 to my liking. But then chose MA for its value for money proposition.

For standmount i liked Neat Momentum SX3i and MA Gold 100 the most, didnt test special 40s though. Now i feel the most important factor is to test in your home setup, as it various a lot.

Had them for around 1 year and they are well run in this period.

35 cm itā€™s ok to avoid bass boom, although in the photo the space seems less: Iā€™ve MA gold 200 at that distance (35/40) without any problems. Also the Nova is good enough so I guess the problem is the rest of the roomā€¦can you post more photos and/or a floorplan?

Whatā€™s the box sitting on the Novaā€™s amp? May pay moving that?

Its a andriod box.

Only that I have been running my Reference 3A Veena floorstanders that move a lot of air behind them from the rear ports.
The most is some 10 - 12 inch from back/side walls.
They can be very booming.
I had the same problem as yourself with boom, but persisted in curing it.

1 Like

Ok, need help in curing my setup as well.