NPX 300 with NSC 222 now or wait for separates?

If you have to ask, I think it means you bought too soon to be honest.

3 Likes

You’ll probably need the power supply in future if you change 222 for separates so it’s unlikely to be dead money.

It doesn’t bother me, but you’ve bought a combined streamer/pre, which can’t be used with seperates. You’ve limited your options, or will take a loss changing again, that’s all. But the PS will give a further improvement and can be used on the future separates.

I’d wait and see what comes.
There might be an npx200, who knows?

I would be amazed if the dedicated pre has a built in power supply so you will probably need to add a PS for that as well as a streamer. It is going to get expensive. Not sure if we can assume the 300PS will power a dedicated pre or if there will be a dedicated PS for the pre amps going forward.

222 is not a total dead end as adding a dedicated streamer to it via the RCA in will improve it and allow you to then upgrade to a dedicated pre at a later date.

1 Like

Hi @andrewngu 6 days ago you wrote in The Naim New Classic range thread

Very happy to know you are already enjoying your new classics, but it’s still very early days and I would expect the sound to blossom further with more listening. Certainly no need to replan your naim ownership future so quickly, so enjoy what you currently have.

Did you not get the opportunity to audition the new power supply at your dealers at purchase time to see the improvement it can make?

Sometimes, the best thing to do, is nothing at all.
You can even listen to some music whilst you’re doing so as a bonus!

6 Likes

Now, stop being so silly and return to your hole.
Stupid boy Pike.

I thought the same…

2 Likes

I couldn’t have put that better myself. That’s all exactly what I think.

Unless I’ve missed something, I suspect it’s likely that the NPX 300 will also power any new pre-amp or streamer. So buying one (ignoring the cost) will always have a use.

Until they announce the extra super duper special preamp only dedicated New Classic power supply. They you’ll feel silly.

Joking aside, this is my worry (and frustration that they are not announcing some sort of road map) I could buy a 300PS now and stick it on my Solstice knowing that I can switch it to the pre when it is anounced but cannot be sure that would work. After all the current range uses dedicated power supplies for the pre amps.

Have you checked with your dealer as to whether they know – even reading between the lines on some dealers websites, I think the roadmap is more or less known, just not public.

.sjb

Who doesn’t want to feel silly :slight_smile:

Well precisely, I’m all for spending other peoples money regardless!

Who’s Sally…

Oh sorry, let me get my glasses!

1 Like

This is the issue though isn’t it, it’s like going on a treasure hunt with a faded map working some of this stuff out, and that’s for folks like us that have been on this crazy ride for decades, pity the poor sod walking in to his local Hi-Fi retailer looking for a nice little system.
It’s not like they’ve invented something radically ground breaking that has to be kept ultra secret, Naim could just announce the range will be expanded and that any future products will align in a pre determined way.
Hence my comment to just sit on your hands and do nothing unless you’re desperate to get rid of large piles of cash for something new and shiny.
I think what’s more interesting here is the migration path you may take between systems. I was at my dealer the other day (at his home actually picking up kit as he’s local) and he was basically saying, just get rid of everything and start again, in his words, “it’s that good” well sure, good for him and the margin he gets on selling 2 or 3 boxes just shy of £6K each :money_mouth_face:, not to mention he’ll be sitting on a glut of 272’s, NAP 250’s and Nova’s for months and offering modest trade in prices.

I think that’s a dangerous message to be propagating – I know it’s always said that your system will sound as good as it always did - Even if there are newer upgrades or products available, but in our psyche I feel, at least for some of us, FOMO becomes a part of our listening experience.

If I got into my head that I needed to sell up and restart again, I doubt very much whether I would end up with a Naim system – in fact, I’m pretty sure I probably wouldn’t, but then that’s without listening to alternatives, but there is a huge attraction to me for all in one speakers like Dutch 8c and Kii 3. The only thing stopping me at least trialling these is the absence of dealers for either on the island of Ireland.

.sjb

I think the fact that the NPX 300 comes in a nice box that says 300 series on it tells you all you need to know. It’s going to be the power supply for the 300 streamer (probably :wink:)

1 Like