NSC 222 vs SN3

At the time I had my SN3 with a SCDR. If you connect the 222 to the SN3 preamp you are essentially listening to the SN3 preamp as SQ.

The SN3+SCDR sounds really good, yet in the end the 222 was to me better (directly to a power amp).

As suggested above, I would buy the 222 , sell SN3 / Hicap, and buy second hand Nap 200. Two boxes, a better pre than inside the SN3 and a streamer near the level of the Ndx2.
The Nap 200 is on the level of the SN3 power amp section.

1 Like

I agree LindsayM

I have the NDX2/XPS2/SN3/HICAPDR combo

It’s wonderful

Even the 2 box NDX2/SN3 sounds really good

Why go to the expense of the NC 222 unless the OP’s end game is the NC 250 amp

3 Likes

I think that you need to decide where you want to end up first, then work backwards.

2 Likes

yes

1 Like

I’d go for a NDX 2 on a trial basis, then decide from there on, you may like it, you may not. At least you will know then where to go in a more decisive way…

@garcon
I have 4 analog inputs in my SN3 -

1. Home theatre receiver
  2. Streamer DAC
  3. MC Turntable
  4. SACD
    If I buy NSS 222 and sell my SN3 I will not able to connect the turntable and the SACD.
    As I understand the above thread - the streamer DAC component of the NSS222 will not provide me better SQ than ND5XS2 so. So I think I need to check NDX2 or NSS333

I would suggest NDX2 or NSS 33 are way to go, but are you sure about your assumptions with 222 input? There are two analogue inputs and four digital. So can SACD or home theatre output to digital?

I’ve had both and they sound different (don’t ask me why). I’ve also owned the NDX2 after ND5XS2 and now have the 222.

SACD won’t be used when using a digital output, as that is part of the internal DAC of the SACD-player. Something to consider :slight_smile:

@nitrous
NSS222 has 2 analog inputs -

1. MM Phono stage. But I have MC Turntable
  2. Analog input that can be set to be in AV mode. I can use to connect my home theatre receiver

SACD cannot connect via digital input.
So I miss 2 analog inputs

1 Like

No, it has three analogue inputs if you are counting phono MM. I wasn’t as you said you’d an MC cartridge and presumably MC phono pre-amp.

You can configure one for AV bypass if you need to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.