Numb Hands

For padded shorts/bib-shorts, try Endura. Prices from about £30-£120 ish. Best of all, is a 90 day money back guarantee. Never needed to use it and I currently have 6 pairs. Also had some baggy spray shorts of theirs where the taped seams fell apart after 3.5 years of ownership. I asked them what type of glue they used so I could re-tape them, and they replaced the garment foc.
Worth a look!

1 Like

If only I could afford Assos… but I appear to have spent all my money on Naim gear…
With regards to the OP, I’ve cycled (road bike) since the late 80s and my position has barely changed more than a few MM since then, but the last few years I too have suffered numbness/tingling in my right hand only after about 40 minutes riding. Nothing a regular change of hand position or arm shake doesn’t relieve, but still mighty annoying. Maybe Father Time is telling me my aggressive, low position is not befitting my years…

I have had a very similar issue for about 20 years. Surgeon who has performed two discectomies and fusion (C 4 & 5) believes the severe tingling then numbness in arms/hands whilst cycling was contributed to significantly by my upper back issues. Since then I have switched to a far more sedate, upright riding position (Rayleigh Motus ebike!) and I can now do 30-40 miles with only mild discomfort. As an aside I also needed CT ops on both hands! Just unlucky it appears.

I had exactly the same problem. Straight handle bars and soft rubber grips.
I changed my bike (not just for this reason) to a “Dutch” style bike. i.e. sit up and beg style
Totally cured the numb/tingling sensation.
The make was Gazelle. They make lots of styles and are allegedly the largest bike manufacturer in Europe.
Maybe worth giving this style of bike a try.

I always keep a little Allen key set with me on rides.
If I’m just out and about doing shopping or commuting I prefer my seat post shorter. As I have mobility issues and feel more confident getting my leg over, but on long rides this set up would definitely give me numbness.
On said long rides the seat post will come up an inch and a half with only a little numbness in the Netherlands.
I have bad memories of quick release seat post clamps.

Since the lock down and being in the vulnerable group and grounded for 12 weeks, I bought myself a turbo trainer so I could exercise and keep fit. I never suffered that much from any numbness whilst riding on roads but on the turbo I do much more. I agree with people who already have said try adjust your riding position. In my case though I think it is down to not moving about as much whilst on the turbo. I put this down to because whilst on the road you are constantly shifting position to keep balance or as you steer the bike. Of course I could be wrong about this and possible more knowledgeable folk will have a better understanding as to why I suffer much more on the turbo than when out and about.

I use a trainer in the winter and experience things exactly as you describe. Yes, it is because you can be very static on the bike. It pays to move about, stand up and peddle etc.

I have a smart trainer and use software called Zwift. It controls the smart trainer, so if looks like I am going uphill, the trainer automatically adjusts the resistance to more difficult, often needing a gear change. On the other hand, if it looks like I am going downhill, the trainer free wheels. This gives me a chance to stand up, or even get off the trainer and walk around the garage while the bike continues down the hill. Worth looking into. During the lockdown, numbers of simultaneous riders has exceeded 15k.

I resisted Zwift for years but succumbed last winter when my old ‘dumb’ turbo died and so I was ‘forced’ to replace it. I bought myself a direct drive smart trainer which works well with Zwift. I have to say I do find Zwift less painful than the old turbo and doing group rides forces me to push myself harder than I would otherwise. During lockdown my mates and I have arranged group workouts which has served to keep us in touch too…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.