Obscure British audio companies

The dealer im thinking of was definitely in Alderley Edge. I bought a pair of Target speaker stands from the shop on West Street. Pretty sure now they were Aston Audio. But there again, I’m thinking back to 1985!!

These came ut for sale locally. Brinkman Endymion from 1991.

2 Likes

They look like something to get buried in - horrid!

6 Likes

…or for lavatorial purposes…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t stick my todger anywhere near those ghastly things - it might get electrocuted!

2 Likes

:joy:

I love my Graham Slee, ran rings round the NAIT3 phono…reminds me I must sell those boards

2 Likes

That was my first amp! 1976, you could open a can with the front fascia edges though :S

I assume you mean the Metrosound. The Trio was a nice amp and did not deserve to be used as a beer bottle opener :rofl:

Please, if I may ask, Which Graham Slee would that be?

Thanks

Gram Amp 2 Special Edition, daft really cost about the same as the NAIT (second hand) but I’m happy with the overall result.

1 Like

Origin Live suggest money spent on a phono amp is well spent, considering the sensitivity and signal levels involved. I “happily” bought a GS Accession to add to my XS3. On paper the phono stage is 50% of the XS3 cost.

I ran a NAIT 3 with MM boards for 20 odd years, very happily too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone remember the Ditton Elan Di260 made by Celestion?

3 Likes

I always thought this one was super cool. Anyone ever heard one?

6 Likes

I was given one of these some years back. Only problem was it was rather sick, so was sold on with a bunch of other stuff for parts or repair.

Another interesting amplifier that I was also given at the time (and I think I still have it somewhere) was the Mordaunt-Short A5000 (linked image below). This was similarly not working well at all, and most scarily someone had wrapped some tin foil around the protection fuse, doubtless in an attempt to stop it blowing - eek!

2 Likes

I usually cut a 6" nail to length to fit…
Better than foil, which does not carry much current…

I hope you have the current flowing towards the pointy end for optimum sound quality. (Better stop here before Richard has to treat this as dangerous power modification advice.)

1 Like

Just pull a file across any sharp edges, including the point, and it should be a lot safer.

1 Like

Unplug it first obvs…!

I read somewhere @Robinho, that IAG are to start manufacturing certain Castle models back in that original factory in Skipton. They making gorgeous cabinets in house again! This is really good news.

1 Like