Obstruction of Public Pavements - is it a criminal offence?

The only people moaning about anything on this thread seem to be the very “activists” you are referring to. But whatever floats your boat. My wife is disabled and wheelchair bound and if I saw bricks obstructing the street I would cal 101 and go from there. The thought of calling 999 would never occur to me. What next? Call 999 if someone drops some litter?

5 Likes

I’m not saying you’re over reacting, maybe expecting too much in todays underfunded world. But enough said, the thread will merge into politics.
I have been rebuilding part of my house/property for the past 3 years.
As the employer I worked with a structual engineer & main building contractor.
The work came under local authority building control regulations, some of which required the take over of a 30m section of footpath and a 5 car parking area.
This was all done to the letter of the law/regualtions.
However getting the local authority to do things in a timely manner was … lets say frustrating.
During this time we had an incident that required police involvement … despite numbers of phone calls, no one showed up.

The World has gone mad!

Lock them up and throw away the key! Oh, I forgot we have no more room at the inn and we need our builders to build our homes!

Please, rather than grass someone up let’s just speak to them like human beings who are just trying to make a living. This is an utter ridiculous topic.

8 Likes

Have to agree.
As I said topic has gone from an answered question to Police bashing.

2 Likes

Not really. Gov.uk has been much ridiculed as a simplistic, misleading one stop shop lacking detail on so many fronts it’s hard to know where to start. Anyone who believes what they read on it should perhaps go read what it says on a subject they know inside out. It’s simplistic nonsense and like much of its content this beats no resemblance to the terms of service for the 999 number. Can you find them on gov.uk, which is exactly where they ought to be? Of course not. I would rate it for accuracy about as highly as the police website i.e. not very.

999 and 112 connect to the same service. The word “emergency” is certainly used to distinguish between the two and features prominently in the explanations and examples. It doesn’t actually feature as much in the terms of service. I know this because I live close to someone who has the paper and electronic versions of said documentation as she was involved in updating them. The focus of 999 for the police is crime or imminent crime. For other services the word such as ambulance or coastguard it is quite deliberately much more prominent.

Someone did lift my stereo system, the police did absolutely nothing besides telling me that they are very unlikely to catch them.

They cost me a fortune as it lead me to Naim and the never ending upgrade path!

I can understand your concern and I wish no one any harm concerning the bricks but let’s try and get some perspective.

3 Likes

Clearly never met a British builder. Last time I saw the a member of the public ask someone to remove their rubbish; bricks; scaffolding and explain the absence of correct road marking and lead in the row went on for 30 minutes and the police had to be called to stop the fight. It’s a sweet thought but no sane passer by would engage with a builder that they weren’t directly employing.

1 Like

Mike you are just so wrong on this one… it’s NOT an emergency and should never be an issue for a 999 call.
You don’t go to A&E for a sniffle.
Police call handler was wrong to say it’s not an offence, it is but NOT an emergency.

3 Likes

My word, what tosh. Mike doesnt believe the Govt, so the 999 system is therefore a chat line.

Stand in any street and canvas the public on what type of calls should the 999 system deal with.

Yes because I’ve often seen people with pushchairs; in wheelchairs; on crutches or using a stick or cane abandon the pretence they had any issues and just crack on with gathering up those bricks. Happens all the time obvs. :rofl:

1 Like

My main contractor was the model of professionaism, on time & process perfect.
Can’t say the same about some of the sub contractors, but workmanship was mostly topclass.

I’m reporting a crime against correct grammar!!

4 Likes

:wink: it’s only a civil offence of course!

1 Like

Please read the whole thread before commenting.

At no point have I said it was an emergency. I am very clear that it was not.

However, I am equally clear that “emergency” is not the criteria for 999 when you want the police. Legally the criteria are that a crime has been committed; is about to be committed and requires attendance. Unfortunately, “emergency” is embedded in the national psyche.

This event was not an emergency, it was an absolutely legitimate use of 999 though and the response given was wrong.

2 Likes

In what sense is the public perception relevant here? The criteria are laid down in law and neither the law nor guidance references “emergency” as the starting point with regards to calling 999 for police involvement.

Given the fact that 999 deals with often ludicrous scenarios which are clearly not crimes or imminent crimes and which are regularly reported in national media, and, given that people regularly do turn up to A&E with sniffles @ChifChaf I would disregard the view of the public understanding just as much as I would gov.uk.

1 Like

The highways act is policed by your local county council and if you report it they can serve notice for illegal items in the highway in the same way as skips and scaffolding should have a licence…

1 Like

Stop digging mate.

2 Likes

I am not and never will be your “mate”. Back on “ignore”.

Shame.

Apologies. Said my piece and now, bizarre as it sounds, I have an overwhelming craving to make an elaborate omelette.

1 Like