Occasional bass "boom" ...update...powerline added...gosh

@Kipstryker your system seems well balaced and aligns well with the SF Nova II. I don’t think the issue is in the dystem set-up. I also run Nova’s and learnt they benefit a lot from IsoAcoustics Gaia feet. Not only do these bring more control in the bass, they also give more clarity in sound and better imaging. Would recommend you to try these

As mentioned already, your room acoustics could also cause some of your issues. Do you have more detail (size, pic) of your listening area

Iver

I do have the Gaias Iver. I went with the III’s. The novas are only 1kg under their limit. Perhaps id see better results with the II’s. Although the benefits you describe I can concur with to some extent.
I will post up some images tomorrow with daylight.

It’s a bass heavy track but in my system the bass does not overpower the rest of the music. I do not know how to advise - different speakers, different rooms, so hard to give advice other than to say that the recording may not be to blame.

Its not the recording. Those 2 bass notes aside it sounds magnificent. The clarity and depth of her voice…its like she’s singing live in front of me

I suspect its more to do with the mixing. Her voice sounds great, but all the instruments are a bit over produced (to me at least). It sounds at though they have all recorded in different locations at different times, and then someone’s tried to mix them some weeks later. The Bass sounds OK, but the guitar (during the heavy bits) just sounds wrong to me, although I can’t fully explain why - just not cohesive. I can’t imagine it would sound like this live - Live would probably sound so much better.

Just went off to hear a live version, and yes, sounds much better

By way of an update…
Yesterday I spent some considerable time installing a chc ‘supercap’ and some chc interconnects and additional powerblacks. Completely redid my cable runs and suspended my TQ Black 2 so that it was both distanced as much as possible from power cables and off the floor.
My XPSDR now has some decent hours on it.
Spent some time with small speaker adjustments, and swapped the Novas so the bass vents are facing inwards.
Well across an extended listening session into the early hours, the occasional boom is much diminished. Pretty much everything has also improved. Sat with a silly grin most of the evening and anticipate further improvements as running in continues.
Undoubtedly the room is at play and there is not much more I can do about that.

My only remaining thought is whether to upgrade the TQ Black 2?

2 Likes

Why?..

Earlier you mentioned that the Novas are the 4th pair of speakers in 4 months. I think that spending time with your system, put more miles on it and maybe refine speaker positioning further etc. would make more sense first?

1 Like

Agreed.
I’m a flawed character…what can I say?

3 Likes

Sometimes less is more, some lite room treatment en downsize to a monitor speaker. And by all means demo them at home.

Update for those that were kind enough to contribute. The addition of a powerline to the 250 has for the most part removed the issue. And added other uplifts in overall sound.
Was not expecting that. Pretty gobsmacked tbh.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.