Oh my...Tom Verlaine. Dead

Bit taken aback by this.
One of my favourite guitarists (and with Television, one of my most-loved bands ever)

Rest you Tom. And a massive, heartfelt thank you.

5 Likes

Oh that’s sad. Marquee Moon is just one of my favourite albums

2 Likes

Blimey! That is sad news! Thank you for all the music and may you walk in peace.

2 Likes

The darkness doubled

2 Likes

That’s horrid news indeed. ‘Marquee Moon’, Television’s only music that I know at all well, is a truly wonderful record. That will be one of the first things that I play when I get home, soon I hope.

Far too much of this type of news coming in lately. Another very unwelcome sign of ageing, and not one I had ever really considered before. It’s shocking to see that list of ageing rock stars just now, and to imagine them just dropping off the list, like death’s conveyor belt grinding along. I see my former client Steve Winwood’s there (as well as Rod Stewart, whose libel action I defended for a national newspaper), dear gods alive!

1 Like

Oh Wow. That’s shocking news. “Marquee Moon” is one of my favourite albums ever.
I was fortunate to see them play live on several occasions and at close quarters too.
The brilliance of the guitar interplay between Tom Verlaine & Richard Lloyd was second to none.
Really sad news.

2 Likes

RIP. Creative force lost.

1 Like

The thing about Tom Verlaine is the focus on Marquee Moon as brilliant an album as it is there is also Adventure and the later self titled Televsion album.

Then his inspired solo releases have much to offer.

I’ll be taking a much loved delve into my Tom Verlaine solo collection.

“I’ll be breaking these rocks until the Kingdom Comes”

7 Likes

Sad news. I saw Television (supported by Blondie) in Hammersmith in 1977. What a superb band, and what an extraordinary guitarist.

2 Likes

I played Television’s Marquee Moon LP over and over back in 1977 and loved it… I still do.

R.I.P. Tom Verlaine

2 Likes

Me too @Hammersmith, but not sure on the support as I didn’t go in to see them. 1977/78.

I remember seeing Nick Kent on the tube platform afterward, but the support band is a blank!

Television were brilliant. Wish I’d seen them again.

2 Likes

Sadly many of us (I suspect) are now of the age where the people who created the music we love are now passing on. Several have passed in the last few months alone.

To try and look for the positive, the music does not die with them and we can continue to enjoy it long after they have gone.

3 Likes

That’s very true, Robinho, and musicians (of whatever kind) are able to leave some real part to their soul, their essential being behind in the music that they leave after them.

It’s still very sad to observe them slip their soul.

Terribly sad news, Tom never quite fitted the rock star image and he was all the better for that. I consider myself privileged to have seen him both in Television and as a solo performer over the decades. I was at the Blondie support gig as well, and the following year when “The Only Ones” opened. As the darkness doubles tonight perhaps there’s a twin guitar band with Tom and Jeff somewhere in the cosmos.

3 Likes

Totally agree Andy. I have all the Television and Tom Verlaine solo albums on vinyl.

1 Like

A unique talent. His solo post Television work really shows off his skills as a guitarist. The instrumental album ‘Warm and Cool’ from 1992 allows his guitar work full reign with no singing to distract. I still hear your riffs in the wind Tom…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.