OK, so I'm not a "jazz lover"

Why not buy or stream a history of jazz. Starting with King Oliver and find which period you enjoy. Ken Burns is a decent starting point. On Amazon Prime. PBS.
I almost believe I can guess the ages of the jazz music thread participants. I like old stuff because I am.
Do not be hoodwinked by ‘trends’ go and discover what YOU like.
Kevster recently recommended a book about the history of jazz by Alyn Shipton. Buy it and read it.
There you are not one musical recommendation.
N

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

Also not bad, IMO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want an excellent overview of some of the great British Jazz from the '60s then I can highly recommend the two (or three if you count the unofficial one that wasn’t released) Impressed with Gilles Peterson compilation albums. These are a MUST BUY in my opinion.

These have some great individual tracks from different artists. Similarly, the old vinyl LP “Jazz Explosion” is a great compilation in a similar vein, covering the best of the Lansdowne Series.

However, if I were to boil it all down to just one track - possibly the greatest single piece of British Jazz - then it would have to be Stan Tracey’s Starless & Bible Black;

2 Likes

Vol2 also on Qobuz but no Vol1? Strange.

Must listen track? Try Charlie Parker, Parker’s Mood.

Lots of good recommendations here.

I tend to steer jazz-tentative people to Brad Mehldau. He anchors much of his jazz in the melodies of popular songs (Beatles, Radiohead and Nick Drake being his faves), making (for me at least) a more accessible and memorable structure compared to some (much) jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi_seRUIjWs

Try a few of these:

Charlie Parker with Strings
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Jaco Pastorius - Invitation
Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child/Maiden Voyage
Wayne Shorter - Adams Apple/Speak no Evil
Miles Davis - Relaxin

These albums are mostly swing, nothing specific like modal jazz/fusion/bebop but I am sure there will be at least a couple of albums that tickle your fancy a lot!
Welcome to the eternal rabbit hole of jazz…

1 Like

Surely the most ‘prog’ jazz fusion album?

3 Likes

As good a place to start as any…

50’s, 60’s biased though but some would argue those where the golden years of the genre.

Have a look at the Jazz thread.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

I’ll go with St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins. For some reason I couldn’t embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMNWVTxZI4

1 Like

I’ve today grabbed (from ebay) the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, version 7.

1 Like

Here are my list of 10 iconic jazz albums, which represent the diversity in the jazz. Some of the most representative.

image image image

9 Likes

Great list fr!!

1 Like

At least a list of ten that I would do for someone wanting to discover jazz. No one sounds like the other one too.

1 Like

Did somebody already mention Sons of Kemet

6 Likes

Something in between jazz and alt rock.One of my favorites of the last months.

1 Like

So you’re a heavy/progressive rock fan. Try the Mahavishnu Orchestra’s first album, The Inner Mounting Flame. It’s a powerhouse of jazz-rock fusion, in fact THE definitive album of the genre. John Mc!aughlin started the band just after leaving Miles Davis’s band.

7 Likes

Well, I’m doing something right, I have three in that list. :grinning:

1 Like

Bud Powell & Johnny Griffin duo live - ‘Idaho’

2 Likes