Olive hicap

I have decided to buy the olive hicap to go with my 112/150 system,what cables do I need to have and how would I connect it up

1 Like

An Olive HiCap should come with a Naim Mains leads and a Naim SNAIC5. Thats all that you need.

If it doesn’t then the price you pay should reflect this. The best you might get a pre-loved SNAIC is maybe £40…? New they are a lot more - I have a price of £199 from a couple of years back.

Go carefully… :expressionless:

PS. I bought an Olive HiCap for £375 - with all leads - in 2012.

1 Like

If you google ‘Naim NAC112 manual’ you should find what your need for connections, though a Flatcap 2 will probably be shown rather than a Hicap.

Enjoy your music :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot of olive Hicaps on eBay have never been serviced and the costs of a service went up. Having been through the process, I would say that servicing a 20+ year old Hicap makes a big difference - better ancient olive and serviced than 15 years old and not serviced.

3 Likes

As said check the manuals online for the nac 112 and for the nap 150. You will need two snaic cables. One is a 5 pin and goes between the hicap and the nac 112, the other is a 4 pin and goes between the hicap and the nap 150. I assume you already have the 4 pin snaic and that will be unplugged from the 112 and put in to the correct socket on the hicap.

2 Likes

Indeed. An unserviced HICAP can make everything sound leaden, or worse.

As others have advised, you’ll need a SNAIC5, which hopefully will come with the HICAP (check). However, don’t worry if not, as all bar the last Olive units had a grey SNAIC, so a good opportunity to upgrade to a later (and superior) black one. Just be sure it’s a genuine Naim SNAIC (see FAQ on here on how to ID).

1 Like

Richard would a newer model hicap be ok as well,I’m clueless with all this naim gear hence why I’m on here asking the question

Yes, although the Flatcap2/2x is the natural partner, and an aesthetic match for the pre-amp and power amp, any HICAP will do just fine here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.