Olive hicap

How much would a olive hicap which has been serviced be worth

Depends - if from a dealer (who might offer a short warranty) , or from an on-line auction site, if immaculate or a little shabby…

1 Like

Boxed, manuals. Original Salisbury air inside?

3 Likes

Also much will depend on whether it was properly serviced by either Naim or Class A. If it was “serviced” by anyone else, then it’ll be worth a lot less.

3 Likes

Leads…? Original and correct - or not. BIG difference.

(a Naim SNAIC is about £200 new, currently…)

3 Likes

Naim or Sheffield serviced with leads 5-600 seems to be the going rate non dealer.

1 Like

Almost certainly more than when new.

1 Like

Class A richard

Only a bit. My oldest HiCap was £417-75, when ‘new’ (in 1986), if I calculated correctly. My other HiCap was bought pre-loved (in 2012) from a well known dealer and was £375-00, with the correct leads (albeit not latest).

1 Like

TomTom have a Black HiCap described as boxed, serviced, excellent at just under £800.

So presumably an earlier serviced Olive model would go for quite a bit less than that, even if it has its box and is excellent - and whether it’s a private or trade sale.

But I have no personal experience of doings with a HiCap.

1 Like

That’s good. Recently serviced, I assume?

1 Like

Recently serviced Salisbury or Sheffield will be £600 for a proper one as described above.

3 Likes

I bought mine unserviced and had it serviced by Naim. Total cost was 785£. This was a few years ago. Not to good then. But I guess it might be a difference depending on what country you live in. I live in the cold dark north.

1 Like

It depends on what is available on the usual sites. I’ve bought a few bits of kit since Covid started and over the last two and a half years prices have peaked and are now softer on second hand kit. I set myself a price and wait for something to come up rather than buy at whatever the current price is. Service costs have gone up recently and the bargain non serviced item has to be cheap to be worthwhile. I have an Olive Hicap that has cost me 650 to buy and have serviced in the last 6 months. I think I will struggle to get the 650 back if I should decide to sell now.

3 Likes

Bought it Richard £600 and it was serviced sept 22

2 Likes

The most recent ones on the auction site tend to go in the range £380 to £480 (service status varies).

(I track ‘em in a spreadsheet)

1 Like

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Well mine was £375 so your range seems to be about right…?

1 Like

Ive seen a few Olive Hicap dogs on ebay. The ones with mods and the 22000uF caps. Then there are the ones that look beaten. I recently bough a third ( and final) olive Hicap. No box, or snaic ( but ive got a few spares) , but it was mint albeit no history of service. This was pointed out to the seller who accepted a significantly lower offer, which made the cost of it and a trip to Sheffield worth it.

2 Likes

I think I would prefer an original but beaten HiCap. Service and clean up…!!

For those that don’t know, the older (pre Black/Classic) Naim cases respond well to a good clean. Black shoe polish works too - and/or careful painting of any damage with Gloss Black paint.

The Black/Classic cases I have found more difficult. They have a satin finish which is more difficult to deal with. Any repainting still shows. My XPS(2) is like this. Its previous owner had a Naim CD player sitting directly on the XPS - which significantly marked the XPS’s case. The result was a (very) cheap deal for me, via a well known dealer…!

1 Like

Indeed it does. Last week I was cleaning up some old Meridian 200 series units, wiping them down with water to remove the cat pee, and following up with Cherry Blossom liquid Black, wiped on thinly with paper towels, then excess removed and left to dry. They’ve come up very nicely.

The polish can also hide minor scuffs, or even, as I discovered on one of the units, an “anti theft” post code** written on the side in what I assume was originally fluorescent ink, but then covered up by the dealer……probably with black shoe polish :smile:

**Bournemouth, FWIW :grinning:

2 Likes