Olive kit and new CD player

I like audioquest cables, but what cables do you use the rest of your system? In my system it used to be various different brands of cables, and I’m gradually replacing them all with audioquest, synergy I discovered really helped tuning the sound. For source like CD player I recommend Audioquest NRG Y3 or Z3 .

I was in a similar position recently. Initially it showed similar symptoms to those you describe, but then, after moving my system around to accommodate a new (to me) 52/Supercap, I found that my Arcam CD23 would no longer even recognise any disc inserted. I was advised by Arcam’s customer services that they would only service/repair the later version of this player (with text display). I thought it was too good to simply recycle so I opened it up, cleaned the parts of the transport that I could with cotton buds and an old ‘stylus cleaning’ fluid, and then sparingly introduced a light oil ( I used model railway motor oil) to each of the plastic cog axles and to the tray’s rails.
It now performs as it should once more, and sounds fantastic through the Naim amps (I was worried that the 52 would be too much amp, but thankfully the CD23 is up to the job).

5 Likes

Good idea, I should give that a try as Esoteric is famous for their Transport mechanism, it’s sitting in the middle shelf, a chunky 20kg beast, so will get around it eventually ha. Cheers

1 Like

Hi Andy,
No I’ve not tried it with an external DAC tbh the sound is so well balanced I don’t feel the need to try it.

I have boxed up my DV79 and at some point will do similar to you as I just can’t bear to take it to the tip. It cost 1k when I bought it new albeit many years ago. A little project for my retirement I think but what could be causing the violent vibrating which starts up on the first couple of tracks then seems to quieten down?

Thanks for the recommendation I will have read up about that cable. In my system I use the stock Naim mains cables and the now defunct Flashback Sales interconnects which were amazing value for money but I’m sure can be vastly improved on. The snaic cables between HiCap and pre amp and power amp to HiCap are are all Naim. Standard mains lead that came with the Rotel and flashback 2xRCA to Din to the (72) pre amp.

I’m far from an expert and am very, very wary of messing around with any electricity so I’m not sure I’m best placed to advise anyone on this. I found some useful guidance on YouTube before I attempted the cleaning myself.
The slight juddering and track skipping my unit had occasionally displayed (before it failed to recognise discs completely) all appear to have been resolved by cleaning the cogs, rails and lens. It took me about 20 minutes in all. Very simple; or I wouldn’t have been able to do it! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.