Olive series pre-amps - help please!

This could potentially be confusing for the OP.

Just to clarify, the NAC72/NAP140 can be run (very well) withoutt a Hi-Cap.
The use of a Hi-Cap inproves things a lot.

2 Likes

Sure.
However, the point of this text, is the system (my system) being commenting on, includes a HiCap.
Which is different from the OP’s interest.
So - beware - not as the OP is considering and may produce a different outcome.

Thanks for pointing this out. Apologies if it wasn’t entirely clear.
Just for clarity, a 72-140 works perfectly well. (A HC can be added anytime for a small gain)
Hope that further clarifies for anyway looking at this brief exchange.

Finally, the main “take away” - replying to @damn2k - should be comparing the two options, they both work well. But, for a variety of reasons personal to me, in our home, I’ve decided to use the Olive Amps with vinyl records only. (In different circumstances, may have made a different decision).

@damn2k
FWIW, I love your system set up. It seems like a really well balanced system. And the way you have it, in your living room and cabinet, looks super cool. :sunglasses:

I bet those LS3/5A’s work a treat with the LP12 and lovely Olive amps?

KR
R

1 Like

Just another thing between the 72 and 82 that I haven’t seen mentioned yet and to some is important is that the 82 is remote controlled and the 72 isn’t. I had a 72/hicap/180 for years and this never bothered me as the sound was just so engaging for the financial outlay. I tried a 62 and 102 also but the 72 just sounded so much better to me.

3 Likes

I have two NAC72/NAP140 one of them with a Hi-cap2.
Absolutely wonderful.
Over the years I have seen many positive comments about this combination.
PS My NAC72 has a remote control (but not allowed to tell you more).

I remember seeing, some years ago, a photo of a battery powered device which sat on top of the NAC72 casework and used a strong rubberised band wrapped round the 72’s volume knob to control the volume. Weird and wackily wonderful, but not much good in changing inputs or balance, etc.

I’d love to see another photo of this device, if only to persuade myself that such a thing really exists.

And I urge Naim to acquire one to keep alongside other historic and long gone products in a museum of former glories.

2 Likes

Nothing so wacky - would love to see that.
Mine is just a dongle with up/down/mute.
If I show you a picture I am afraid our Leader will cut off my dangly bits.
I do not change inputs or balance anymore as my system is now digital with streamer, NAS and Qobuz (the CD player, turntable, cassette deck are boxed in the loft).
Changing your input could be one of your five a day.

i feel you, I have the same plus all the other board

1 Like

yes, I love their sound.
just yesterday I changed the arrangement of the whole system by moving it to the short side of the room, the “dirty” basses are gone and it sounds much, much better.
in a few days I will post the new photo.
PS: i need an Isoblue hifi rack

1 Like

After running the 72/140 for a while and being satisfied I then added the Hi-Cap2 which seemed to add more depth and a bit of grunt. I was very satisfied with the Hi-Cap upgrade.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with NAP140 servicing?
I do not have any issues but wonder if a little rejuvenation would be beneficial to SQ etc.

Yes. Had mine done by @Darran at Class A, about a year ago. Of course, there is a significant improvement… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sent my 140 off to see Uncle Darren @ Class A, back in May 21.

Had all three done at the same time. So can’t say how just 140 service helps. Nevertheless, the whole trio together benefitted.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thanks IanRobertM and ratrat.
Is Darren at Class A your local dealer or is he the go to man for this service?
Do Naim do it or recommend service agents? And which is best?

If you are UK based, Class A makes sense. If you are EU based, other approved service agents could make sense.

Nap 140 is my favourite power amp. I’ve a serviced one (by Class A indeed) and it is great. 72/hicap/140 is such a balanced combination.

3 Likes

Class A are approved service agents for & by Naim, in the UK (based in Sheffield).

2 Likes

If you are U.K. based, there are probably two choices…

Back to HQ, via your favourite Naim dealer.
Or Class A, in Sheffield, (which is a Naim authorised service centre).

That means, if Class A do a 140 service, they work off the same job sheet and use the same service pack ( of components) as Naim require.

A Naim dealer will also arrange things with Class A for you. But most folk seem to deal direct. In my case, I like the drive, to chat with Darren and the opportunity to browse the record shop in the basement.

2 Likes

Check out the thread “Naim Servicing” further down the list of HiFi Corner topics
More useful info’ that may help you :+1:

Hope that helps

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.