One box streamer for 252 & 300

Yes indeed a 555 would certainly sweeten the pill!

2 Likes

I guess the last will be better vs bare Ndx2. The U1 has a BNC output, so will fit with the Ndac.

There is also the Rose RS150 which was suggested to me when i was buying an all in one streaming solution. Unfortunately i could not try it out

1 Like

If connecting and keeping it easy and straightforward and/or brand loyalty is above all, I get it, but combining well and smartly to improve layout, synergy (yes) and SQ often means being open about models and brands. For me moving from NDX2 + XPSDR to Vega G2 with Naim amplification was a worthwhile improvement in overall SQ. I’ve tried the NDX2 with a couple of Naim amps and the overall effect has always been good but for me also, well 
 just a little too sticky and sweet - you know, a bit like cream over cream over cream on your coffee and scone. Combining a Naim amp with a more detailed, incisive, open and soundstage-truthful DAC got me much closer to what I perceive as a realistic, lifelike, full and engaging sound (the latter very much that lovely signature of Naim amplification). In that sense I understand also why some might choose Chord DACs with Naim amps. Helps keep check of box count with same or better SQ too.

I’m not into streaming but must admit the latest Linn I’ve heard were really good.

FR,i have been reading a lot about the Lumin X1 lately,as a possible future upgrade for myself.I have also been looking at the Lumin P1 (online),which has more features than the X1,but apparently is close in sound.Did you happen to hear a P1 by chance? My local dealer is trying to get one in as a demo unit,and a dealer i also use just got one in,but has not unboxed it yet.
Like the OP,i do not want to spend 25k with a power supply for my next/last source. Mola Mola Tambaqui,Lumin P1 and a used Bartok are around my price range eventually.

Secondhand Bartok, prices are about to go up a lot for a new one and that will affect the Secondhand price.
Plus with the new apex versions for the rossini and vivaldi dacs and not the Bartok, i think its safe to think that the Bartok will get the much better 2.0 software that the out going rossini has, making it much better sounding and again help push its price up.
A Bartok running rossini 2.0 software is going to be a very nice one box solution and if you buy right a bargin as it will easily out preform most other dacs

Yes Dunc,i heard about the apex upgrade.If the Bartok used price is more than i can spend,the Lumins might be the ticket for me. It will not be for at least a year,while i save up,so the landscape could change by then.Are you getting your Rossini upgraded?

Unfortunately I didn’t heard the P1. The X1 was impressive on a 252/300/Apertura system. More detailed vs the Nd555 , a bit more dynamic, and more natural on voices.
But the sound was less organic and full vs Naim. A matter of taste.
The look of Lumin is also special.

1 Like

Going to listen to one soon as the dealer i use has a rossini player non apex and one that is apex, so was waiting for the new one to burn in a bit and go down for a listen.
Apparently both hooked up to the same system, so you can just switch between them on the pre to compare them both in real time, just how i like it done, no hiding anything that way or your brain playing any tricks, well its the only way really to do it

1 Like

Mola Mola is very high on my “want to audition but maybe I shouldn’t
” List. They make a stunning one-box 150W Kula integrated with the option of adding the Tambaqui DAC as a board in the amp.

2 Likes

Does look very nice
good reviews

2 Likes

Indeed,the Tambaqui is half that size and cosmetically matches my Nagra integrated for a grand total of two boxes.
I power the Nagra down when not in use also.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Two boxes
 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Sigh
 :grinning:

1 Like

Just found a review of the Weiss 501 streaming dac. Review available on Stevehuffphoto site.

He says : « So how does this $9600 box compare to what I have heard before it in sound quality alone? I will compare the sound to the Chord DAVE ($12,500), the Nagra Classic DAC ($15,000), Lampizator Amber 3 ($4500), Denafrips Terminator II ($4500) and even the iFi DSD Pro Signature ($3500).

. »

2 Likes

There’s also the Totaldac D1 tube mk2. Around 10k euros.

1 Like

You could also sell the 252 and supercap if you had a Bartok as it has a very good pre built in

1 Like

How are you doing this @garcon, are you using the Vega as a pre-amp? I heard it played through various integrated amps (so two pre-amp stages) and I thought it was pretty good. I haven’t done a side-by-side with a NDX2 though.

Yes, using both pre-amps. I was unsure when I first tried but apparently 2 good analogue pre-amps working together can do a fine job in such a case. The standard or default would be the streamer at max (i.e. no attenuation and just the Naim pre working) and use the Naim volume, but I prefer both on - keep the Naim at a fixed level and control everything from the streamer - same SQ more flexibility. However, of the 2 preamps, the Naim one is the key for me in terms of SQ - without it (e.g. direct to power amp) music just loses “energy” and presence.

1 Like

What about options if you basically only stream internet radio and a bit of Tidal, like I do. My ND5XS is getting a bit old and I would like to replace it at some point but because I mainly listen to vinyl I do not need anything fancy that streams Hi-res files from a NAS or whatever