One of life's little pleasures

Or gold top! Now that is something I haven’t seen for many years!

Yes, more a native of Guernsey, than Isle of Man🙂

Brings back memories.

I admit to having bought that single as a kid.

I was also did a milk round ( as opposed to a paper round that many did as kids) and the joy of starting in the dark and seeing the sun rise as I dropped gold and silver tops on the doorsteps will never leave me. Its a great time of day. Less great is the winter cold and your fingers just about freezing to the glass bottles. Still, happy times.

With the crates left out in the sun during the day. Warm and slightly sour milk for the afternoon milk time. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Afternoon milk time?

Well age 7, I never felt the early ,morning joy

Kept Marc Bolan’s Jeepster off the No1 spot.

At primary (first) school, there was was always 15 minutes after lunchtime when the free school milk was handed out and we all sat quietly at our desks and got our daily dose of calcium goodness through a straw.

2 Likes

We used to get it when I was a kid in England - one gold top and several (3?) silver a day for family with three of us kids. A treat was having the cream from the gold top on breakfast cereal!

1 Like

Guess that’s something new, I went to school in the 50/60s

@AndyP
Hopefully not by 1 extra sale.

1 Like

You mean the straw? I the 1/3rd pint bottles when I was at school in 50s/60s - don’t recall if there were straws. If there were, they were paper straws that went soggy at the mouth end before you finished,

1 Like

70s for me.

This from W***pedia:
The School Milk Act 1946 provided free milk—a third of a pint a day—in schools to all children under the age of 18.

It was withdrawn gradually by successive UK governments, but I seem to recall it being reintroduced. Actual system may have been different in Northern Ireland where I grew up.

That’s brought it all flooding back! Warm milk :frowning:

I hope you’ve been feeling guilty about that over the years.

Did you like the ‘b - side’ - “Ting-A-Ling-A-Loo”.

Lol, your knowledge of the b side is a little concerning.

I think I got away with it. I once met Marc Bolan at a party and he never mentioned it.

1 Like

You never know,

Watch out , watch out

1 Like

Even worse in the local cats pee’d over the bottles… sorry for that but true

Yes there were straws as far as I remember

I was replying to only one arrow I think😯