Operation of Naim pre-amps

I do the same. This way there are no surprises.

Our old oven would randomly trip the house circuit breaker. Although I should have turned the power amps off before resetting the breaker, I did not always do so. Power off turned the mute setting off, but at least the volume was set low when power was restored…

I always mute mine and switch to one of the inputs that would not have any sound if things were suddenly switched back on . Usually, the phono and definitely not the tuner. I also used to lower the volume, but since I do it by remote, I figured that motor will probably be the first thing to break, so I just make sure it is at a low level if some glitch caused things to switch on(if I go over to the preamp I’d zero the volume).

I hope when you say old, that means you now have a new one

I’m in the North East of US We’ve been having crazy weather for weeks now. About a month I just turned all the audio off and disconnected it. 2 nights ago we had lightning and Thunder right on top of us I was sure we were going to get hit or lose power!

Yes: splashed the cash and bought a very nice NEFF. Trouble is I/we are “all the gear and no idea” cooking-wise :grinning:

1 Like

This is my second reply because I have realised after being mindful about what I do when ending listening, that my behaviour re volume is different depending on the source I was listening to when finishing. If a radio station or stream, I leave volume as is but listening to vinyl I would automatically turn the volume down before lifting the arm up. If listening to a rip it depends, if I was listening to something louder than normal, I would turn down the volume afterwards but if at the normal volume I leave it as is.

I am now wondering how others behaviour with leaving or turning down the volume has changed as sources have changed over the years, prior to remotes we had to walk over to the hi-fi, now for many sources, it is all done on a remote, so does this change what we do?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.