Oppenheimer - overrated

I bought it on 4K Blu-ray and was slightly miffed that I didn’t enjoy it more. I can cope with a film being dialogue-heavy, but the timeline shifting was - as far as I can make out - entirely dramatically unnecessary. Timeline shifting can be done cleverly - I think it adds to the experience of Pulp Fiction, for example - but it did nothing for me in Oppenheimer beyond irritate.

Mark

2 Likes

Anatomy of a Fall: Oscar for best original screenplay

1 Like

Kinda a typical Chris Nolan joint. Agree it was too long and underwhelming. Robert Downey Jr. had a great performance, though.

I’m disappointed that Past Lives didn’t win anything - the screenplay, performances, and photography in that joint were all top shelf. Well worth 105min of your life if you haven’t seen it yet.

1 Like

I thought that Oppenheimer was excellent. I’m glad I saw it.

I also found it refreshing that, in this day and age of low attention spans, a film can be long, slow and successful.

I thought that Dunkirk was a pile of poop though.

8 Likes

Agreed. Dunkirk was poop, and I would add Tenet as well.

Missed that. Thanks

1 Like

I enjoyed the film overall. Old enough to know the story line and the history.

The ability to watch it in the comfort of home added to the enjoyment. Not to sure why anyone would want to go to a theater to watch a 3+ hour movie.

As like all movies you lay your money down and take your chances.

Life is sweet!..

5 Likes

I enjoyed it and likewise in my own home in a couple of sittings.

Revisiting the BBC Sam Waterston series helped me understand what the Robert Downey Jr character was all about. Really an Oscar for best supporting actor.

But the dialogue sound quality (a common downfall with Christopher Nolan) was a big disappointment - heard some friends saw this at a local film night and they had to have the subtitles on!

Enjoyed Oppenheimer at the cinema in IMAX. Felt shorter than 3 hours long.

6 Likes

Imho Oppenheimer is a grat film that deserves the awards it has won. In the Italian dubbing I found no problems in the sound quality of the dialogues.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it, a little long for sure. The only odd thing I found was that it sort of glossed over the actual dropping of the bomb - at the end of the day that, and the impact it had, was what it was all about surely. With American money behind the movie maybe it’s not surprising

Our next door neighbour said that one of her friends said she quite enjoyed the film but thought there was too much about atomic bombs in it.

7 Likes

Here a french review, from Liberation magazine :

« Each time the speed of scenes and time jumps slows down, it is obvious: Nolan complicates, disrupts, constrains for nothing except to paint a simplistic, boring, idiotic story with varnish. And if his desire is indeed that, naturalistic, of embracing the multitude of the man he tells about, the failure is bitter since Oppenheimer does not let us see anything of it, clouds our vision, to make us miss out on it. All.«

I’d watch Dunkirk again and again - but once was more than enough for Oppenheimer.

Yes, like in The Usual Suspects.

1 Like

:joy:

[First time I’ve used that icon]

Is there a sequel planned for Oppenheimer……

Two excellent films I saw recently for the first time are 1917 and The Dig.

1 Like

Yes, it’s called Oppenheimer Doppleganger.

3 Likes

Is it? Most people have very different tastes in movies with only marginal overlap. My favourite films of all time (Oppenheimer wasn’t one of them but I thought it was very good indeed though my backside complained about the cinema chair halfway through) are probably on a large number of people’s hate list and an equally large number of people’s indifferent list.

2 Likes