Optimising Wi-Fi to beat a wired connection

I just wanted to say that cascade Ciscos is not the end game. But you tend to think that.

There is no end game for me and I’ve never said there was. Maybe your system is just noisy and you need the boutique switch to shape the noise you’re hearing. Like I said, you have a non-scientific observation of one.

RFI/EMI can propagate through the DAC’s circuit all the way to the analog stage, affecting SQ, it has nothing to do with the data itself.

3 Likes

Audiophile word is about experience and pleasure, not measurements. It doesn’t absolutely me to be non scientific. By the way I don’t think it’s only about noise.

Yes, a world ripe with confirmation bias and subjectivity and few universal truths.

1 Like

Wi-Fi works well until it doesn’t.
Mesh systems work well until they don’t.

Do you have TVs and microwaves and other devices that cause interference?
Many topics on this forum attest to issues with lost connections due to the wi-fi network issues or equipment with flaky wi-fi connectivity.

Streaming requires little bandwidth (even hi-res) so no advantage in beating a wired connection.

My wired network works fine … and I am sticking.

The only measurements I am concerned with are

1. The Akurate speed of my Pink Triangle turntable
  2. My speakers can handle the power output from my 250-2

Same here - although I was rather happier. All those Ciscos and fancy Ethernet cables can now go on a well-known auction site.

1 Like

You are not more scientific than me, because you reject, before even trying, audiophile switches, being persuaded that they are snake oil. Maybe you have a scientific knowledge but not the spirit my friend.

1 Like

I haven’t rejected anything, that’s your confirmation bias talking now.

No.

The End

2 Likes

“I’ve spent less than $300 USD on my switches and cables and my network is about as optimized as it can get without going boutique and spending many hundreds of $$ and I doubt the boutique equipment will get much better than what I have. A couple cisco PD switches utilizing POE on the last leg to the streamer and some ethernet spec cables is all you need. “. Your above post.

3 Likes

And your claims do not address my claims. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes.

1 Like

If you say so…

I have an Asus sub-router cost £140 connected to my Virgin router/modem, a Netgear GS308 switch £20 (linking my W10 “NAS”, streamer and ethernet feed for Qobuz and Internet radio), and some Rankie cat 6 ethernet cables £9 each. Nothing flashy but works perfectly.

P.S. Wi-Fi gives streaming a bad name.

1 Like

I do as I run a high speed, stable wifi, just as others run a shielded cable system. Poor implementation of either will give poor results. The difference is always going to be in the workload of the sender and receiving kit that handles/buffers/converts the bits.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Yeah, right! If there is one thing that is always lacking in these sorts of discussions is rigorous objective evidence for assertions. Subjectivity is so much easier to deal with and of course harder to refute. Just because science or engineering says there can be no difference doesn’t mean you can’t hear one.

Paul, I quoted El Marko post.
I had Netgear, then added linear ps, then two optical converters, added linear ps to them, then Cisco, then cascade Ciscos, Uptone Etheregen, with different linear ps I tested, and finally PhoenixNet. I hope not changing till many years now.
Tried a lot of lan cables, as Audioquest, Meicord, Blue Jeans, Catsnake….
Hopefully all that is behind me. No more tweaking.