Options ! Your thoughts?

:grin: I don’t have experience with the NDX2 but would agree with few suggestions here to look at the DAC or power supply for the NDX2. I don’t know how good the NDX2 or how much it can be improved. Nevertheless, based on my experience comparing 2 different DACs (Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and Chord QBD76) on the same amps which you own, the differences were so significant that the MF M1 was sold within a month later after I bought the Chord. The QBD76 totally transformed my system for the better.

A good source/DAC is really imperative to having an optimised performance from the rest of the components in the system. I feel it’s often overlooked as people keep upgrading the amps all the way up the ladder…

3 Likes

My experience and biggest upgrade was when I added the XPS DR to the NDX 2! My system, my room, my ears! Others have reported wonderful results when adding the XPS DR to a NDX 2 while a couple of folks on the forum did not have a positive result.

So important to demo on your system in your room to validate it is worth the money for the upgrade!

Good luck with your decision(s)…

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. As expected , some different points of view which all help. :+1:

When I had a CDS3 I upgraded the power supply from the XPS by returning to naim hq and had it serviced and dr’d. I didn’t think it made a significant difference, certainly not to warrant the cost albeit the service was due.

Because of the importance of the pre-amp in a naim system, my suggestion if at all possible to arrange would be to compare the benefits of a ps555dr against a supercap for the 282. Either will provide you with a springboard should you decide to upgrade the ndx2 or 282 at a later date. My only proviso is the 252 dilemma often encountered on here - when that time comes a decision will be required → 252 or full fat 552. If that is a possibility, I might be steered more towards the 555dr.

Peter

1 Like

Umm…I had a similar dilemma a while back. Whether to go for SCDR on my 282 or get a 555DR for my (then) NDS (not dissimilar to a NDX2 in performance). I went for the SCDR first as I had designs on a 252 back then. The SCDR brought a very nice uplift.

But when I eventually got around to sticking a 555DR on my NDS…BLIMEY! But at that point (I think) I had my 252, so I believe the additions of the SC, 555DR and 252 are all additive and synergistic (good word…eh).

From what I have experienced, and if I had my time again, I think I would go for the 555DR first, but you might need a 252/SCDR to get the very best from the addition of the 555DR.

So, as usual, the best advice is to home dem both the SCDR and the 555DR.

BTW, all the way through I kept my trusty 250DR.

1 Like

Thanks, that is where my initial thoughts were. Good to get a broad perspective though. As all would say, inevitably it comes down to personal choice. My experience in the past is that demos can sometimes lead to a knee jerk reaction which makes less sense after the event!

Best bet is to arrange a lengthy home dem if possible to ensure kit settles in and you have a chance to listen extensively and avoid those knee-jerk reactions.

1 Like

I read sometimes that the supercap on the 282 is not always a favourite match.
The 555 dr is not risky. But after, the temptation for the Nd555 will be probably obvious.
Some prefer the 282 vs the 252.
Difficult choice without auditioning.

1 Like

Second HCDR and a 555psu.

I’m sure there are plenty who like the SCDR on a 282. But at one level it invites temptation to a 252, something that doesn’t always go as well as expected. I wouldn’t mind guessing ( which means I don’t know) that the combined transformer and capacitor capacity of 2 HCDRs is more than a SCDR. There has been discussion about less than optimal grounding using 2 HCs over a single SC. But the real benefit of a SC can’t be realised on a 282, I.e. the burndy connection. And the 282 only has 4 power rails, which the dual HC can feed just as well.
555psu is temptation again. Many say it takes an ndx2/xspdr to another level again. A few say it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I would definitely go for a PSU upgrade on the NDX2 first. Your amp will easily take through the improvements.

If you can afford it then go for a 555 and be done with it. I wouldn’t do anything with the amp until you are at NDX2/555 level.

Then I would look at comparing a Supercap DR vs a NAP300 DR, you may be surprised as I was! At this point it wouldn’t be out of the question to verify that an ND555 isn’t a better option too, it’s surprising how far a 282/Hicap DR/250DR can go.

2 Likes

I think the challenge is finding the best balanced system for the level of investment. A XPS DR on the NDX2 is really designed to go all the way to a 252/300 level system with the 555 designed for the 500 series. For the difference in cost between the XPS DR and the 555, you are well on the way to a used SC/252.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying and it’s certainly worth the OP exploring both approaches.

I draw from my own experiences having owned a 282/HicapDR/250DR for a good number of years.

With that amp and the original NDX an XPSDR was a very worthwhile upgrade but when I moved to an NDS which was used initially with the XPS DR the difference when I changed to a 555 was way greater, it transformed the system.

The Supercap DR on a 282 is also worthwhile, in order of magnitude I would say a similar upgrade to the XPS DR, i.e. not as significant as the XPS Dr to 555DR. I did the Supercap upgrade after upgrading the 250DR to a 300DR. The Supercap does of course pave the way for a 252. The upgrade from 282/HicapDR to 252/Supercap DR is quite a jump!

3 Likes

@trickydickie is spot on and reflects my experiences with these upgrades.

I’d still go for the 555DR on the NDS first as I have heard what that does and it is far from subtle. But, and there is a but, you will be holding the NDS/555DR back until you get to the point where you can move to a 252/SuperCapDR, IMO.

So I wouldn’t be totally recommending the significant expenditure on a 555DR unless you are planning to move to a 252 at some point in the future. Indeed this was my plan back then.

2 Likes

The OP does have an NDX2 which may respond differently although systems hierarchy tends to make me believe that similar benefits will apply.

Regarding the 252 upgrade, whilst what you say is true a NDX2/555DR or NDS/555DR into a 282/HicapDR/250DR is far from shabby and the streamer with the better power supply will still sing through!

1 Like

Ah, yes the OP has a NDX2, but no reason to believe that what the 555DR does for the NDS, it won’t do for the NDX2.

There is only one way to find out, and the word begins with ‘d’ and ends with ‘emo’.

3 Likes

I’m not sure. My NDX2/555 doesn’t seem to be held back by ‘just’ a Supernait 3.

1 Like

Depends how you interpret the phrase ‘held back’. I’m sure you would agree that you will get more out of your NDX2/555DR with a 282 or a 252 and a 250DR, at the expense of a greater box count.

3 Likes

Absolutely. However, in the OP’s system a 555PS would not be out of place even with no further improvements in the system. I’ve always been a source first advocate, whereas others would rather spend their money on fancy wires. Nothing is right, nothing is wrong.

1 Like

How can you know ? The only way to be sure is to compare with a NAC 282/ 250 in your same system.
It’s not because it sounds fine that it would not sound much finer with better electronics.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for taking time to reply. Certainly reinforces my belief in keeping an open mind as there are some approaches here which provide an alternative to my initial thoughts. I will keep all of your comments in mind when demo time comes. :+1::thinking:

1 Like