Origin Live Mat for Rega Planar 8

Hello,
I’m looking at mats right now.
I would like to try something other than felt or wool.
Is the Origin Mat worth a try?
Other alternatives also welcome, just not thicker than 2mm.

Regards

Hello, you will get many recommendations here for mats of all materials, which is great.
I didn’t get on with the felt mat provided with my P8, so took a gamble with the Funk Achromat…
Happy with it.

I don’t want to adjust the tonearm height. The Funk Firm is too thick at 3mm.

Ok.

Have been using a leather (type) mat on my P8 for a couple of months and have actually just put the original back today. The sound is much more dynamic with the original mat, so it’s staying.

1 Like

I trusted Rega’s engineers to supply the optimal mat.

If static cling is a big issue – wet record cleaning solved that issue for me.

1 Like

I’ve tried different mats over the years (P9, P10) and have always found the standard mat to be clearly better.

2 Likes

The obvious question is why you are looking at mats? What’s wrong with the one supplied by Rega and designed to work with the deck? I always turn records over with the platter spinning, and that’s far easier with a felt mat.

3 Likes

I’ve tried a few alternative mats with my RP10 such as the Acromat and the Herbie’s Audio. Herbie’s was horrible - pulled everything apart and made the bass detached and weird (yuck) - the Acromat was OK I guess, but in the end I came back to the standard white felt mat as my favourite. I guess Rega had already figured that one out…

2 Likes

And Rega make their mats in some striking colours too. Although I note they do vary in thickness, but not so much I can hear any difference.
Now all they need to do now is drill the spindle hole in the middle. :rage:

Quite. You would think that if they can get their bearings to such high tolerances, getting the hole in the middle of a circle of felt would be a piece of cake. But it seems not.

1 Like

Thank you for the answers.
I’ll probably stick with the Rega mat then.

1 Like

That would be a good decision I think. If you want a change from the rather boring black mat, why not spend £22 on a nice red one. Or blue, yellow or purple for that matter. They lift the rather austere looks of the P8 rather nicely.

2 Likes

I had a nice blue one and the hole was in the middle but it had a flat edge where it had been cut from a bigger sheet I guess… most annoying…! I now use a nice red leather one…

time for a picture!

5 Likes

The Origin matt in my view is well worth a listen too. They do a 30-day trial or money back on their products so not much of a risk. Some folk have good results with cork/neoprene mix mats for Turntables like the Rega too. There are some good acrylic mats out there too but I can’t think of one 2mm or less.

I have been using the Collaro precision cloth turntable mat on my P6 and now on my P8. A bit pricey but works very well. The nice people @RegaResearch liked Collaro mats on twitter too!

1 Like

Does the mat make a sonic difference?

Hi I brought this for my P6 a few years ago and was quite surprised in how it made the music more detailed especially the sound stage. I didn’t even bother talking the Rega mat out of the bag when I got my P8 I just slapped the Collaro on it, so I have not done a comparison on the P8. Highly recommended upgrade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.