Ortofon 2m black LBV

In case anyone is interested, just upgraded my standard Stylus for the LBV 250 version.
This is the one with the boron cantilever.
A definable improvement, tighter sound right across the frequency range. Faster transients and a little more detail.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Mike :+1: I’ve read very good things about this version and was curious about its potential.

I have the standard 2M Black and like it on my RP6, even though I know it has detractors. Wondering whether to swap out the stylus for the LVB when the time comes, or pop on a Rega MC!

My thinking was, I can just swap out the stylus. If I go for a new cartridge it’s probably going to be a MC, that means a step up to my sn3 phono, or even a new phono stage. Cost mounting up.
Listening to it now, the more I hear, the more I like

1 Like

Is it LBV or LVB?

Quite

Replying to a now deleted post.

1 Like

I have very much enjoyed the 2m black - haven’t loved the surface noise on older records. Is there any improvement with the boron cantilever?

I don’t think there is a difference between the two.

If surface noise is an issue, it might be worth trying a phono stage with a different level of capacitive load. The Naim MM stages load at 470pf which is fine for old Shure cartridges, but a rather more than recommended for ATs, Ortofons and the like. The impact of this is emphasise treble a bit. I’d try something with 100pf max and try that.

1 Like

I have a 32.5 w the mm card.

Hi, it’s a very simple modification involving one component per 322 board. However, I think detailed discussion will breach the AUP. Naim’s choice does make sense for cartridges like Shure and the old A&R Cambridge C/E/P77…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.