Out with Roon, in with the Naim app

I’d just split your network into home and work. I worked from home as a dev for a decade, work provided the laptop and it was connected through a VPN using my home broadband.

1 Like

As good as the idea could be it is once again in the box of extra things I have to do to get Roon to work when everything else in the house works as expected. Just don’t want it that much, sadly.

If the AV is on your Roon laptop just turn it off! At least it will eliminate that as the cause.

I’ve not used AV for years, I simply don’t bother with it. Used to do a bit of work at my mates house and bloody Kaspersky was an utter pain in the arse!

Not doing that. Client security requirements fully outweigh my music listening lol. It certainly does not have a problem anywhere else.

The thing here again is that nothing else has a problem. I can stream 4K without a hiccup and then I have issues with music streaming software.

I cannot be convinced that my antivirus can choke a small library search when everything else works. Considering the searches and code I run under bitdefender on my development laptop it is really small change.

I’m done jumping though hoops for a third party bit of software that chokes in an environment where everything else works.

I don’t need it that much. And this thread is a culmination of literally months of trying things.

I do appreciate you taking the time to suggest things but this is more about me having come to a decision after many months of effort. It’s gotta stop at some point.

1 Like

As a Dev I’m sure you know that it isn’t as simple as that! :thinking::wink:
Network Traffic is likely being blocked by something… I think AV software is now the virus. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

There is blocked and throttling. And this is the same AV that ran for about two years with no issue with Roon.

Anyhoo as I say thanks for the interest but give me some credit for not taking this decision lightly or without a reasonable amount of investigation.

During the course of the months it’s been attributed by folk on various fora to my Orbi, the harddrive, a network loop, the hardware, windows 10, other programs in the laptop, upnp, the Atom HE, the network cable, the wireless backhaul and now the AV.

The core of the thread is really how the Naim app surprised me at being a prettY OK solution.

1 Like

Because they are all unsatisfactory experiences for my needs and wants. They are what I have used in the past and left behind, they work fine for what they do, but they dont help me engage with my library in the same way, help me find new music in the same way, discover more music from collaboraters, what other collaborations the artists have featured in, find differnet recordings of the same composition easily for classical or even pop music as its composition browser is great. On top of this I am able to sample this new music without leaving the app. Yes I can discover music in other ways and do, but I can spend a few hours just navigating my library hoping from link to link reading up from the app and adding new and interesting tracks and albums to listen to later. Again I could do this by other means but via Roon it is so effortless and feels 2nd nature and it’s all in one place.

Its multiroom for me is the best I have used and doesnt tie me to one manufacturer or class of kit. I can transfer my current play queue from one zone to another seamlessly, I don’t bother with sync play. Start in the morning on my head rig in the bedroom, move to dining room for breakfast etc. My playlists, play queue, zones are all available from any device running Roon remote on it. Any device can be controlling playback adding to the queue which is great for family parties and having friends over as they fire up app on their phone and join in.

DSP for me is the icing on the cake, to combat my room modes as mods are well out its a living space not a studio. DSP is the future as its getting better all the time.

And also recently remote play using the same library management so my home library comes with me anywhere as lossless and this does work without internet if I have them offlined to the device.

Oh and if I hear a track on internet radio that I have on and I like it, it allows me to click on the track if it’s available in streaming services to explore more about it and add it to my library.

No other app or eco system currently offers me all of this.

4 Likes

I use a bit of DSP as well to reduce a room node at around 50khz. I do this using a convolution filter created with REW with great results.

I use volume leveling if playing a Tidal or Qobuz playlist and find it great that I don’t get blasted out just because the previous track was very quiet. If I like the track I can add the album to my library with one tap, no need to check if it’s on Tidal or Qobuz as it selects Qobuz by default in preference to Tidal. And PCM in preference to MQA. Oh, yes it will decide MQA should there be no PCM choice!

Who’s playing that bass guitar? :thinking: Tap the track details and the answer is there. I wonder if they have an album :thinking: Tap discography and ooh :open_mouth: there is a list of albums in popularity order. :slightly_smiling_face:

Rip a CD and use mp3tag to update the metadata…oh sorry I don’t have to do that. Drat! :wink:

1 Like

Does anyone know whether, when you change from an annual Roon subscription to a life time subscription, do you get a credit for the months remaining on your annual charge? Looking to chance over before the price increase in January.

Edit: The answer is no, and as I have an April renewal date, I would lose 4 months subscription to avoid a cost increase on 1 January. Seems a bit of a rort.

I also remembered that the prices are $US, so it certainly starts to add up somewhat. But, it is a very much better app……

I would more say : Going to Roon is like streaming Tidal and without it like playing an lp on a turntable. You have the choice of information, convenience and infinite musical library or just being absorbed by an album and nothing else, with the bonus of a more natural sound.

1 Like

Unless you’re the kind of person who wants to do the first two frequently it is hardly a chore to use an internet browser, while I for one don’t understand why anyone is interested in knowing what is popular with other people - but certainly these are fair enough for people who value the ability things highly - clearly a target audience for Roon.

However, the move to requiring internet connection to play even from own stored music, which IIUC now being the case, seems a seriously retrograde step, as it means that in the event of an internet outage people would be unable to play any music at all even if they have a collection of stored files at home, unless they also had a non steaming source, or a non-Roon player as a backup. The licence validity argument someone put forward in this thread, if correct, seems poorly thought out - Audirvana implemented similar a few years ago, but it is only periodic and survives absences of internet connection for up to a month.

1 Like

I subscribed to Roon for a couple of years, and ran it on a relatively modest NUC… it worked pretty well, but more than anything else, I found it became a distraction to the actual music listening experience… I would be tapping away on my iPad looking at related artists and all the other info Roon can serve up, which is interesting and satisfies my geeky nature, but fundamentally I want to zone out and feel I have defragmented my head after a good listening session… much more easily achieved with a glass of wine…

I knocked Roon on the head about 6 months ago and don’t miss it: the expense, the additional hardware (and power consumption these days!) and more than anything, the distraction from the music.

1 Like

Many people are annoyed by this and there is much feedback. I was as well - but mostly from the view of a software professional, because I believe that not having a fallback option within Roon will cause ongoing complaints to Roon when internet goes out on people who are not aware of the limitation, which I expect to be many.

However, in my own reality with a UPnP capable streamer, if internet is out and Roon refuses, one can simply start Asset on the NAS and use the Naim app. (Or actually in my case, I can USB-tether my phone to my router and the router uses the cell network, which not only takes care of Roon but fixes internet access for the whole network as if nothing happened)

1 Like

Yes, many people on the Roon forum tested it voluntarily and involuntarily. How long it works in a given case is unpredictable (confirmed by COO), probably also depends on what you try to do, but things go down sooner or later (rather sooner)

1 Like

Apart from all the benefits described above, one of the latest greatest features of Roon is I can control my music from my watch. No more “now where did I put the iPhone/iPad”.
I have had the lifetime sub for over 5 years. One of the best hifi decisions I ever made.

3 Likes

Nope

1 Like

It’s an example of what you can do if you wish to do so. Sometimes there may be a guest singer and I wish to know who it is, it then links me to the artist’s details and discography.
It’s music hyperlinks if you wish.:thinking::wink: It’s certainly had me playing stuff that I’d never have considered before.

I rarely have any loss of broadband but if I did I’d simply tether my phone - job done.

If the Internet has an outage there would be worldwide problems :wink:

1 Like

I have tried roon a few times, using my mac and a borrowed roon nucleus both sounding worse than streaming direct from qobuz.
Not bothered about looking at the art work as all i want is the best quality music and the ability to find it.
Roon for me was a big let down especially after all the big it up report’s i had read. I know we are all after different things but for me spending out atleast £500 on a fan less nuke and then paying for roon subscription on top of the quboz subscription just seams very pointless especially when the quality went down.

4 Likes

and yet it’s a fraction of what people pay for their music servers anyway. As mentioned above, Roon lifetime license and a very fancy NUC with 4 TB SSD storage is 50% of a Uniti Core.

2 Likes

It will start at the end of your current sub period if you buy it now as the reduced rate. Your current sub does not credit towards it. So if you sub now and you currently have yearly it will switch to lifetime when that expires.

1 Like