Ovator S-400 - the hankering is so, so strong!

Very much appreciate your advice Richard. Many thanks.

Ah I thought they had appeared again. I now need to keep resisting them.

I notice eBay has some S-400s available now in rosewood

If they were in Ash then they sure would be winging their way here.

Cant Naim make a ‘plate’ amplifier in the sockets of the Ovators so that we can run our streaming preamps via a balanced connection into them?

Actually they’re cherry. Look quite good. But definitely not ash

1 Like

I’ve located a pair in Zebrano if you are interested. I think it’s the best Ovator colour and would be a nice contrast with the light Fraim.

1 Like

Hello Richard, I’ve been using a sub with an SN3 the last few weeks. As i have a relatively short lead of 3m I was under the impression a standard set of RCA should be fine. It all seems to work ok but just slightly concerned whether I could be doing damage over time. Would you still recommend a slugged lead for this scenario. If so, are they only available from a dealer and do Naim actually make them or would it be another make? I looked online for Naim slugged sub lead but struggled to find one. Appreciate any advice.

I just bought one from music line 5m to take the spare signals from my supercap that powers my 252. All i can say is what a disaster. Ño idea why but it does not work with my b&w asw 610 sub. No issue or perceived issue when taking the signals from speaker terminals to speaker level inputs of the sub. So I’m having some cables made up to properly support this way to drive the sub.

@Richard.Dane maybe move this and previous post to the sub thread

Sorry wasnt intending to start a new thread, just wanted to check if Naim make a sub lead and if reasonably easy to get hold of. My ASW610 seems to work absolutely fine but I’m risk averse!

You should be fine with the Suoernait. I don’t know whether Naim still make the slugged sub lead. It was something offered when they made the n-Sub. You could always ask your dealer if you wanted one.

1 Like

Cherry, aren’t those ones oop norf? Tempting price though.

Anyone got any thoughts regarding S-400 vs SBLs?

Sorry not heard either - but the 400’s look v nice……

I’ve only heard the 400s once - at a show in Brighton, they played the Hugh Masekela track “Stimela”. It was stunning -next day, I bought the album!

The only problem with them would be the sloping top………where are the kitties supposed to snooze???

2 Likes

I had a similar experience except that next day I bought the speakers: got rid of the cat! :sunglasses:

1 Like

The ghost of Suzy Wong knows where you sleep. Be afraid….very afraid! :laughing:

2 Likes

I sense a bit of a cat fight brewing :smiley:

1 Like

I believe Richard already answered your question in the REL thread. Did Naim not provide an answer to your question though? You have the same subwoofer as me. Did you try driving it from the speakers with inputs to the speaker level inputs instead? This worked better to me than driving it using an interconnect taking the spare signal output from the supercap which introduced a hardness to the sound and also messed up the timing. A noticeable degradation i would say.

Yes, I would agree that high level would work best here. The problem with running a sub at pre level is getting it to integrate. Here the Naim n-Sub, which used a Naim amp, worked rather well (even though I still preferred high level overall). If using a different sub then I would go for high level connection every time that way the sub will work better with the main amps in the system.

Stephen,
Please check with Andy at Winchester Hi-Fi for a pair of S400s. He had a pair the last time I was in.

C.

1 Like

He still does. They are in the Zebrano finish and for sale at £1,500.

1 Like