Ovator s400 & NAP200dr vs ATC SCM40a

Peppa pig +1.

1 Like

That’s true , the Cherry are really nice though . Mine are Satin Black which I really like and prefer to the Black Ash passive SCM 19’s I used to have . ATC advised me to choose the speaker that best fitted my room rather than the Series , they rate the 40 very highly .

2 Likes

Yes, maybe the 40s will be all the speaker I even need? I am sure the neighbours wouldn’t be clamouring for bigger anyway.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the SCM40A (or the passive version), though I use the same wonderful midrange unit. Active is just a great way to drive speakers, and active speakers guarantee the amps are matched to the speakers, so I would certainly expect them to sound great, other than limited at the bottom end - though could be used with a sub.(Personally I would be interested in hearing the SCM150A…).

1 Like

IMHO the ATCs are something special, but then I’m biased! They’re also very transparent and will reveal any future investment in your front end, such as a PS on your 272.

It’s not easy to see from your picture, but they look quite close to the rear wall. It is often said that as closed box speakers they are not fussy over positioning. However, for me they work best well out into the room. Obviously domestic considerations will intrude, but I have them a fair way from side and rear walls and it’s certainly worth talking time over positioning. They’re b***ers to move around though!

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Roger

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I auditioned SCM19A with 272 + external PSU back in the day when I was making the decision to jump to actives. My dealer didn’t have 40A demo pair so 19A it was. I had them for over two weeks and auditioned them with half a dozen different dac-preamps, including 272. I must say that 272 didn’t do it for me. I wanted to like it since I came from Naim stack for almost ten years but it was clearly outperformed by likes of PSAudio Direct Stream and Linn ADSM/3. The latter one I bought and it’s still the heart of my system. Somehow 272 lacked some refinement and emotional connection. It sounded little bit rough. Then again, I’ve never heard it with 40A’s which I eventually ordered and which are soon replaced by 50ASL’s. 40A sounds quite different from 19A. It’s much easier to listen to and pair with electronics. 19A is extremely revealing and sometimes even sharp sounding speaker. I experienced listening fatigue with it when paired with wrong front end. 40A adds little bit of warmth and easiness to the mix without sacrifing resolution and details.

1 Like

Yea the 272 sounds great here, I’m sire there will be preamp that better it but as a one box solution it’s great and I do love the sound it makes. I’m sire in the future I’ll be on thw lookout for something with built in room correction if such a high end pre amp exists

1 Like

The built in room correction was one of the main things I loved with ADSM. It really helps to fit the speakers in room. Superb sound quality was obviously another thing to impress me.

So (I think) a final update of sorts, got the ovators out of the way and removed the spikes from the ATC so I could slide em about easily. Played with having them wider, further out and further back. Very wide and further out killed the imaging somewhat and I’ve settled with them about 10cm closer to the side and rear walls than they were with the ovators along side. Having them closer than 50cm from the rear wall started to make them shouty with certain material at higher volumes, further than 50 they sound fantastic.

They now sit 52cm from the side walls and with 55cm of free space behind them putting the front baffle around 84cm from the rear wall, this gave the best balance of soundstage and bass in my room from trying to listen between the kids shouting and singing along. Spikes back in, properly levelled in both directions and they absolutely sing. Imaging is rock solid, wide and deep and that bass is to die for. Think I’ve just about made my mind up. Stunning.

5 Likes

I wanted white ones but the boss wasn’t having it, so we ended up with cherry.

They have darkened off over time, which takes me even further from white, but at least they do match the rest of my woody stuff, fraim rack and turntable!

2 Likes

Interesting, my wife also strongly preferred the cherry to black or white. Luckily, she also much prefers the mid century look of the Classic series 50s and 100s, so if I ever have the coin, that upgrade will get a warm reception. Less black boxes with active speakers is a big plus in her book too!

1 Like

I agree , I love the Old School looks of the Classic series with really nice veneers . Especially without the grills .

1 Like

Black for me :+1:

11 Likes

Very nice, I like that finish. What are they sat on? Spikes, into Linn Skeets, on a granite block?

My 19A’s are currently spikes removed, but each speaker sat on three Linn Skeets (two at the front, under the outriggers, one at the back … surprisingly stable) onto hardwood floor.

I’ve tried to capture my arrangement here:

Me too, when they arrive, waiting 6 weeks so far

1 Like

Bit of measurement of the ATC in their current position, interestingly there is a 15db cancellation / null centred around 97hz compared to the ovators which I’m guessing is due to their
current position, ill have a play around when I get time with moving them further into the room or maybe further back to see of it shifts or reduces. Overall though from around 70hz down there is a 2-3db lift in comparison. Over the rest of the spectrum they are lower by a few db in the 170-400hz range and also between 1.7khz - 6khz or so. I think this is why I prefer them and they sound that bit warmer as there is less mid range volume and slightly more bass, just sounds more balanced in room. As far as detail and texture goes the measurements obviously do nothing to describe the differences, here I have the ATC in the lead by a decent margin. More music now :slightly_smiling_face:

Are the front of your speakers about 89cm from the wall? If so, that’ll account for the 97Hz dip. It’ll be caused by the reflection from the back wall cancelling the front-firing radiation from the speaker at that frequency. Moving the speaker back towards the wall will push the dip higher in frequency.

Take a look at the “Wall Reflections and Cancellations” section here:

https://www.genelec.com/monitor-placement

It’s a slightly complex solution to an old uneven wooden floor with thick carpet and underlay. I have the granite blocks each on 3 screws sunk through the carpet and more recently now using naim chips instead of the black atacama feet shown in the pic.

Thanks for that, very informative, ill have another play around with speaker positions with the spikes out and rew running so I can quickly take a measurement once positions moved etc if I order a pair, ah who am I kidding, I’m obviously ordering a pair :joy:

1 Like