P8 or P10

And there are a large number of dealers who can demo one against the other .

It’s fair to say Rega have come on a long , long way - perhaps without Linn or Naim taking that much notice. They are challenging Linn and Naim these days , Linn i terms of TTs and Naim in terms of amplifiers. Very shocked to have bought an Aethos recently instead of a SN3

1 Like

Hi,demo went as follows;

P6 -Ortofon Bronze 2M,(my current combo) as a reference.

P8- with Ania /Apheta 3

P10-Apheta 3.

As somebody else has already said in many threads,there is no substitute for listening yourself.Indeed I’d expect people to hear things differently,so no right or wrong call as to which is best,it’s a personal thing.
But ,thank you for asking.

1 Like

I found the step bigger from Rp6 to Rp8 than Rp8 to Rp10.
But I have not compared P8 to P10.

And the 10 with Apheta was so much better than the 8 with Apheta? Just asking because I did not listen to 10 because I did not want to spend the money anyway, and the consensus at the dealer was that the 10 is better, but in an icing-on-the-cake way.

I thought that the P10 gave my ears a better soundstage,clearer placement of instruments,and backing vocals in particular were more defined. It is quite a step up,cash wise,but for me I wanted to probably make this the last turntable I buy,so because I’d heard the difference,it was worth it. I have to say that the P8 was very ,very good,I had a reason for choosing to go the extra mile,I’m sure anyone with a P8 will be very happy.

2 Likes

Just come back from a two hour listening session at the Audiobarn. My 12 year old daughter came with me. We both felt there was a really significant jump from the P6/Ania to the P8/Apheta 3. For us it was really a wow and somewhat unexpected as I am (was!) happy living with the P6. There was also a clear improvement going from the P8/ Apheta 3 to the P10/Apheta 3. I have now got to decide if the improvement is worth the extra £2k to me! Decisions, decisions!!

1 Like

I am confused by this, is it a misprint?

Hi,yes it’s a tough call.As I posted , for me it was the fact it’s likely to be the last deck I buy,that swayed me,but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the P8,good luck with your choice!

1 Like

Not a misprint, rather a typo from my fat fingers! Should have been improvement going from P8/Apheta 3 to P10/Apheta 3. Sorry for the confusion :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Corrected now :+1:

1 Like

The only problem is can you live with a P8 now you have heard the difference the P10 brings? As deciding you want the P10 in 6 months time say, over the P8 will only cost you more.

1 Like

:crazy_face: definitely something to consider. That is why I had to think twice before auditioning it!!! I don’t think the difference was huge and listening again back home to my P6 I think I will be satisfied with the P8. As my daughter very insightfully pointed out that, although the P10 was better, she enjoyed the music from the P8 just as much as the P10 and I am inclined to agree with those wise, twelve year old, words.

3 Likes

And that is why you take others with you. They keep your decision on track. Did something similar with my 16 year old son when testing interconnects at home. “There’s no difference dad” he said. And his younger ears were right. Agreeing with what I thought. He saved me a lot of money that afternoon.

1 Like

Curious…did you think the P6 to P8 difference was huger than the P8 to P10 and in what way? Happy with my P8 but I’m wondering what level of kit downstream needed to extract the difference given the £2K almost double hike in price to the P10 (diminishing returns and all that)?

Not sure how people do when they say they compare turntables when they don’t have the same cartridge mounted… Cartridges change the sound far more than turntables themselves on this level IMO. I mean, you will not know what in that AB test is cartridge and what is turntables differences.

Hi, between the P6/ania and the P8/Apheta 3 there was significantly better soundstaging and the bass was significantly better (more controlled?) than before. I spent a long time in the audition listening to the P6 to set the stake in the ground. It was definitely a wow moment for myself and my daughter. The P10 was definitely better (I am sure it would fly through a tune dem!!!) but did not give us the wow. I am sure that if I just auditioned the P8 then the P10 there could be a “wow” but maybe I was all wowed out!!! We were listening through an Aria Mk 3, an SN3 and Spendor A7s.

That is why I had the same cartridge on the P8 and P10. The ania on the P6 was my current setup. I had this discussion with Jack at the Audiobarn. He recons that it is the arm that makes a difference at this level.

Are the Rega and the LP12 the only turntables sold in the UK? aren’t there other good tables ?

Clearaudio, Thorens, VPI…

2 Likes

Think you may have missed the fact that myself and docbot had the Apheta 3 on both decks ,so ruling out the cartridge influence.

1 Like

Referring to this. The major difference could very well and most likely be the cartridges.

“between the P6/ania and the P8/Apheta 3 there was significantly better soundstaging and the bass was significantly better (more controlled?) than before“