Packing it all in

As others already mentioned I think it’s an issue of fit to lifestyle and or creating room for a hobby. If one can’t listen seriously to music - it’s a pity to have a fine system.
In the past when I was married I shared the love for music with my ex. The only problem was that we listened often to music which she liked and I appreciated as well, my core music had less room. Now I am alone, Music is a big part of my live. And I love the place it has in my live.

4 Likes

Altho Tony Blackburn on PoTP is sounding extremely good at the mo.

Cheers all. I’m off out a while. :man_dancing:

Just sell it.
You seem to have bought if to scratch an itch not to listen to music.

Someone else will surely appreciate the system to play back the music they love.

3 Likes

Yes - you’re welcome to rehome the 250 in my sitting room!

I know you are not asking for advice, so consider the following to be an “observation” :wink:;

You’ve had the pleasure of the journey and have the satisfaction of reaching your goal - having done so, now you’re bored. You can’t use it as much as is warranted. It is too big. You’ve scratched the itch - so flog it and move on - life changes and as it does, we often change with it. Buy a QB (or two) and get a Spotify (or something) subscription and you’ll never be without music …

1 Like

It sounds to me like there is a lack of respect towards you in the house
I explained to my wife some years ago the while I was happy to listen with headphones when there was something she really wanted to see on TV …when it was only on for the sake off it (quite often) …then the TV was going off and music was going on …and guess what ? She found she enjoys it …
Respect works both ways …

1 Like

I might be way off here but what I think your saying is that the system pleases you when the family is out and you can play it higher volume levels but it bores you when they are at home and you play it at low volume levels. If so, my suggestion would be to ensure your speakers still deliver a good performance at moderate to low volume. Some need the wick turned up to come alive; some can still sound lively even when playing reasonably quietly. This characteristic isn’t always discernible from looking at a speaker’s efficiency rating.

2 Likes

I think this is probably a passing phase of life. You have a great set up and a family life, that balance will shift in the years ahead.

4 Likes

The last thing you want to do sell your system. I doubt you would be in a position to purchase it again and then you will be left with nothing but regrets.

We all go through periods when we don’t use our systems much but you come through it and there will be lots of future enjoyment to be had.

I was in a position ten years ago when I hardly heard my system but now I spend many hours a day listening and getting great pleasure :blush:

1 Like

Sell it and buy an older Olive system which is exactly what I did in a similar position to yours, last year I had a 282/300 and it just wasn’t living up to my expectations at all I paid £500 for a 102/180 on eBay I already had a Napsc and a Hicap and it was a revelation I stopped listening to the electronics and started listening to music again because the expectations where lifted.

3 Likes

Thanks - I have two 250’s already :slight_smile:

You’ve answered your own dilemma here.
And your comments about the new music/listening thread just confirm it. IMHO

I’m always looking at threads where I can pick up new music. And enjoying listening to stuff I’ve never heard of or considered before. :blush:

Hobbies, whatever they are, should fire the soul. Hitting “Play” or the starter button on my Kawasaki both stir the emotions.

3 Likes

I agree 10000%. I’m not sure in which society(ies) in 2019 men tell their partners when they will play music whether said partner likes it or not.

This might be pretty good advice! If the OP is “just not that into it” at the moment, he might pack it up and ‘flog it’ or put it into safe storage. He could sell it off, and if in 5 years time he wants music back in his life, he can likely buy SOME sort of hardware that he’ll find suitable, be it a QB type device, or a 500-level hi fi, depending on funds at the time.

Yes, societies where men do the telling are now obsolete. :hushed:

Hifi is my stronghold, I will not give up.

3 Likes

I have a similar peoblem for different reasons. And have posted on this very forum about my frustration. A home full of kids, early bedtimes and hectic schedules conspured against me.

In the end, I decided to keep it. Good listening sessions on the main system are ince in a blue moon but lifestyles do evolve over time and it will get used again one day.

I find that my salvation was the second system in the office. I spend a lot of alone time there. So in the future may upgrade that one to reflect it’s use.

Do you have anywhere where you spend considerable time? A home office, large shed, garage, kichen? Is a smaller but proper hifi in another location going to give you back quality time with your music? I think most forum members with second systems might confess to using it more than the main one in the living room and for similar reasons.

3 Likes

Perhaps an upgrade of music awareness facilitators are what’s needed. Nothing like a bit of magic to bring on the magic.
That would definitely put your planning skills to test. :star_struck:

That’s a bit greedy!

Except in Russia where it is now no longer illegal to beat your wife as long it happens behind closed doors!