Paging @IanF

Saw your system pic with WB Vectors. Would be interested in your experience with them and any other WB models - ta in advance.

Hi Billy,

Got there in the end! The problem with speakers of course, is that they are very personal and entirely room dependent. I spent 18 months searching for speakers and listened to well-regarded models from the likes of Kudos, PMC, Neat etc.

After not getting along with any of them, my dealer suggested WB Arcs, which he used at home, to see if I liked the house sound. I liked the balance but wanted more scale. My dealer had a pair of Vectors and shipped them to me; I was blown away. Everything I was looking for in a modest sized enclosure; apart from the price, which was too high for me.

Fast forward a couple of months, the very same pair came up ex-dem and it was a no-brainer. They produce a huge sound for a speaker only a meter tall and have the smoothest, sweetest top end. The bass is rich, full, but tightly controlled and very punchy. I’ve never heard drums sound so realistic.

Negatives: they do need some space behind (35cm) in my case; the gloss top plate is impossible to keep scratch free and shows dust like you wouldn’t believe.

I’ve also heard the Vertex stand mount (same character but less scale) and the Square 5 (very good too but much bigger and not as smooth at the top end). I believe the Square Series has been superseded though.

If there’s anything else you would like to know, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks, Ian, that’s really helpful. RE finish - comments noted RE acrylic top plate attracting scratches but what about the carbon fibre finish elsewhere on the cabinet - is that resilient or is it liable to show scratches too? I understand that the construction quality in general is excellent - is this your impression? RE performance, have you heard any other models in the geometry range? (Am curious about the ACT One Evolution in particular). Oh - and if you have time to post more photos of your Vectors, that’s be super! Thank you!

Hi Billy,

Build quality is beyond reproach; everything about them exudes quality and they are very heavy. The cabinet seems to be very resilient; the composite material is rock hard and mine have certainly not sustained any damage or scratches. Hit them hard enough with something pointy and I’m sure you could damage them; but I don’t suppose you would be doing that!

Sorry, not heard the Evo. Would like to but suspect it would result in an extremely large dent in my wallet! And the Vectors just suit my room so well…Currently upgrading the LP12, or will be when these things can happen again; the Vectors sound especially superb on the end of the Linn.

Will try and get some pics sorted over the weekend.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Billy,

Here you go. Phone shots as time is tight but if there’s anything specific you want to see, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Just 3 days worth of dust! We do have a (small) dog though.

The composite shell is tricky to photograph with a phone as it has a deep gloss shine to it. Had I been buying new, I may well have gone for one of the wooden options on the black side strips.

Cheers,

Ian

Great - thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.