Pause on demand

With Internet radio it would be useful if the Naim hardware allowed the pause and restart of On Demand services. Very frustrating that if you hit pause and then play, it goes back to the beginning. Not what you want when the door bell rings or you have to answer the phone.

I see this has been requested before…

I don’t get it, should Pause time-shift it so that you can later continue listening at the same point? If so, the streamer would have to buffer the stream in some memory.
And it’s radio, why does it go “back to the beginning”? To the beginning of what, the BBC’s first broadcast? :wink: When I stop and restart radio, it plays the broadcast as-is.

Listening on the BBC sounds app, if you pause and restart where you left off, which can be very useful.

No question that it’s useful, but how does it do that, where does it buffer the stream (on the phone?) and for how long?

1 Like

I have little idea and less interest in how it does it, just that it does.

My point is that there needs to be the memory to do this. I don’t know if the Naim streamers have that (or if technically it would be possible to use the large 50 MB buffer that it uses for non-radio internet streaming), so there may be more to it than “should”.

And if it could use the 50 MB buffer, it still could hold only ~18 minutes of a 320 kbps radio stream, and ~5 of a hi-res stream

The BBC sounds app is music on demand. So you can listen to what you want when you want. So there is no buffering required.

This is different to standard internet radio, which is not on demand and so cannot be stopped and started at will.

It’s like standard TV as opposed to Netflix or BBC iPlayer.

Ah, that’s an explanation, thanks. And of course this means that the Naim streamers can’t simply just do it, the app would need to be tied into the BBC’s on-demand infrastructure (if that’s even possible) and of course this would only apply to the BBC then and not iRadio generally

Sky TV boxes use memory to pause live TV, and you can actually rewind what you have just seen too!

Occasionally when watching the Rugby at my Dad’s on a Saturday we use this to give ourselves our own instant replay, or pause the game if Dad (who is 88) needs the loo! Press pause, picture freezes - press play a little (or a lot) later and the game restarts and nothing has been missed - you’re still watching a live game but with a time shift.

My understanding is that on demand stuff is all stored at data centres/server farms. You access the farm via whatever device you’re using, and their computers know what your device is doing, be it playing, pausing or restarting. No need for your device to buffer the whole show. In a way, the server farm is a massive nas drive (simplistic) which you access remotely.

If everyone is experiencing a problem, it’s a server side problem. If only the users of a particular app are experiencing a problem, then it’s a problem with the apps coding. Either way, it is not your device.

Happy to be corrected. As I said at the start, this is my understanding.

I know, and they have at least several hundred GB disk for this, and the current ones have 2 TB. That’s kind of the point

Exactly, which is s totally different thing than internet radio

The problem is that you’re mixing up BBC on demand services with Internet Radio. Internet radio can’t be paused like that (at least without spooling the data into a large buffer such as a disk drive).

When you listen to the BBC through the App, you’re accessing BBC On Demand services, rather than BBC internet Radio.
When you’re accessing BBC through Internet Radio, you’re accessing BBC Internet Radio rather than accessing BBC On Demand services.

1 Like

Just providing more information for those who don’t know… :roll_eyes:

How would I know, you replied to my post that explained exactly this, that the streamers would need much larger memory to do this

In that case I am sorry I bothered only replying to you! My post expanded your point, so where is the problem?

No I’m not! The OP was specifically talking about on demand services, which I addressed in my reply.

Yes, I know. Might be useful for the OP though.

I’m not bothered, but you replied to my post without explaining much and expect me to know what you meant to do, to expand on what I had written. This was not at all obvious is all I’m saying.

So now that you said that you meant to expand on my point about the required buffer, I do understand

The confusion started with the first post because the first three words in the OP where about internet radio

OK, it was your previous post I should have replied to, and in addition mentioned that a large hard drive enables this, which would have made it clearer to you I was in agreement.

1 Like