Paypal Phishing email

I always refuse to answer & ask them to identify themselves & their department - then hang up, wait at least 10 minutes (avoids the “not hanging up scam”) & call back on the normal dedicated number & say I’ve just been called - if genuine there will be a note on their system.

1 Like

Precisely, an utter security liability.

Using ApplePay I had a transaction declined one day in a supermarket, next thing I got a ‘security message’ on the same phone asking ‘did you attempt this transaction?’ - of course I did and I was able to authorise future transaction by answering Y to a text!

I try to do that.

We had a text with the name of a well known bank saying a device had been added with a link. Of course the bank would never include a link so deleted.

Phil

We’ve had a few of those, normally purporting to be from banks we don’t use!

1 Like

:rofl: That’s happened to me too! You don’t call companies for years on end but when you do you can’t remember the answer without the question!

I’ve experienced this stupidity too. Fortunately most organisations now seem able to offer alternative security check methods presumably as a result of public ridicule.

1 Like

Yep, they’re cunning with their questions.

I called my bank a few years back and one of the questions was ‘what’s the balance of your savings a/c’. Not a scooby, that’s partly why I’m calling! Wrong answer - goodbye!

It does fox me though why some large organisations use links in their e-mails, when they know their e-mails are being spoofed by some many nefarious actors.

1 Like

I remember some time ago that for a while Barclaycard used to freeze my account quite often when I paid for something on line. Getting it unfrozen involved me ringing their security line and the security person asking me what the value of the most recent transaction for “a retail outlet” was, but would never identify the actual retailer concerned. Often I would pay with my card for something my wife had bought and at the time of purchase I often couldn’t tell you what the exact amount was, let alone several weeks later.

The last straw was when she said “What was the name of the vet or animal services you used three weeks ago. I said I don’t know and asked my wife. She did know (as did I when reminded), but the security person said “you aren’t allowed help” and asked me another question.

That did it for me. I stopped using the Barclaycard except in actual shops and switched all my online purchases to a card with a different bank that was more enlightened. I reckon Barclaycard has lost the charges on about £100K of my purchases since then and all because they got their security policy wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.