PC Monitors that reduce eye strain?

The evidence on higher definition monitors is actually pointing to them being a problem rather than a solution. One of the ways to think about it is to think about listening fatigue. It’s not a conceit that existed or was studied until we began to think in terms of the definition levels of audio. 1980s onwards. Similarly, people at NASA would work 12 or more hour shifts on tiny screens but eye strain didn’t enter the equation. There are specific reasons for that.

With the higher definition monitors you are introducing levels of detail which cause fundamental issues with your natural eye movements and thus induce tiredness. Similarly you’re introducing levels of light absorption which overwhelm your eyes ability to cope.

In my case one of my eye conditions is specifically around the absorption of light and I find I’m happier on an iPad than I ever am on a large screen simply because there is less light to absorb. I can work on the iPad for 30 minutes without a break or accruing issues as the day goes on. On my 29” monitor I need a break every 20.

It all depends on what you are doing on that monitor. I find it much easier myself to be sitting typing and reading like I am now on my 13" MacBook on my lap as the type is closer and therefore seemingly larger than on my 27" NEC Spectraview which is much better for working on images or having multiple application windows open at once, therefore reducing eye strain in that way. 29" is probably too large for you if you are only doing text driven work. 24" is more likely a sweet spot.

@JOF Google the difference between TFT and IPS panels and that will most likely be the major difference where you are experiencing eyestrain. But you will most likely pay more for a good IPS panel, but worth it if in the long run it makes you more productive.

Thanks Mike,

I probably should have mentioned before that I suffer from chronic dry eye syndrome which is why my question is focused on ‘eye care’ specifically or perhaps a better term, prevention of Digital Eye Strain or DES. For this, I have eye drops during the day (Hylo-Comod) and a gel for night time. I confess that I am not very religious with the eye drops but just do it at the end of the day or when I really feel the itchiness/strain. I do often get light headaches, however.

Anyway, enough about me, according to this paper published in 2018, it suggests that there is no concensus on the benefit of using blue blocking spectacles on the effects of ‘critical flicker - fusion frequency’ or the reduction of ‘dry eyes’.

Where the papers states that blue light in the frequency of 440nm can be a hazard to the retina, it also states that recent studies looking at blue light emisions from ‘digital’ screens do not represent a biohazard as they are of low levels. Although it does not state what levels digital devices emit blue light.

Anyway, further reading is required here.

Thanks Charles I will check this out.

Reading the blurb, it seems that IPS based monitors are good for colour accuracy and viewing angles. I see the advantages of this for photography and graphic work and if one has an enormous screen size, not so critical for Architecture 3D modelling or detail drawing in monochrome.

Architectural visualisation could benefit from this but then that moves into professional graphic visualisation for glossy mags and the media in general, my clients are very impressed with my sketch drawings and standard rendered print outs :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.