PC to iPad Pro?

I am watching this thread with great interest as March 16 is a possible date for new iPad pro release and then I have to make the decision as to which route to take.

1 Like

The pressureā€¦the pressureā€¦I will try to find the time to have another go with MP3TAG on my iPad Pro 2019.

But basically it works to buy and download music to your iPad and it works to edit metadata on your iPad and it works to upload the music from your iPad to the Core, so itā€™s all doable.

What I havenā€™t worked out how to do is to edit metadata in situ in the Core, rather than download it from Core to iPad, edit it, and then upload it to the Core again.
Best

David

No pressure intended.
I have experimented file editing with my ipad mini4 and synology NAS and had to bring the file to the iPad, edit and then return. I donā€™t think IOS supports remote file editing.

Rather than a iPad Pro why not a MacBook Air M1? This can run many iOS Apps, including the Naim App, and will allow connecting a CD drive. It is better for using on your lap and the large trackpad really feels like interacting with a screen. As soon as you open the screen it is ready to go, no delay. If you have an Apple Watch it will unlock without any interaction; if not use touch ID. I have both an Air M1 and iPad Pro (11") and often find I prefer to use the Air over the iPad.

1 Like

Did you use MP3TAG to do the editing?

Best

David

@alan33 Interesting blog on the everappz.com website. They are the developers of several music-related apps for IOS, including MP3TAG. Although this blog about editing metadata on an iPhone talks about their player apps, Evermusic and Flacbox, from the screen shots itā€™s apparent that the tag editor is basically MP3TAG.

In the blog it gives an example of metadata editing files that are on a cloud server (that could be UnitiCore I think). Basically the software pulls the files across to the iPhone, you can edit as you want including searching their database etc and then when you save the result, it sends it back to the cloud storage. So as @kend implied, it gets around the edit in situ limitation by automatically saving stuff back to the remote location.

I donā€™t know whether Richard will allow this link, but if he edits it away, then you can Google to find it ā€œhow to edit id3 tags on iPhoneā€. The link is

One angle to note here is that MP3TAG on iPad can only download from and upload to the Core if there is an authenticated connection. I find the FileBrowser app is ideal for this. It connects to the Core using SMB. It asks you for a username and password, but if you ignore that and just hit ā€œConnectā€ then it does so and tells you it has. This may be what is behind @trickydickie ā€˜s problem too, although in his case it was a NAS not the Core I think.

I think I am almost there! Maybe this topic could end up as an FAQ. I think there will be quite wide interest anyway.

Best

David

Very cool David, will explore!

Probably I skipped the description of my own steps a bit too much: indeed, in the iPad MP3Tag setup, I connected to my Synology NAS using SMB2 and supplied my ID/pwd in the native dialogue box. Iā€™ve been using a great file system app, File Browser, on iPad and iPhone for several yearsā€¦ the native Files app now supplied with iOS has similar functionality (and better access to local sandbox storage on your iDevice), but File Browser seems more like a regular desktop OS experience. The ā€œconnectā€ dialog in MP3Tag had only very limited options (and defaulted to the local sandbox for local editing). After editing, I used the (manual) upload button, browsed to an appropriate directory back in my NAS, and waited. As I mentioned, the upload automatically created a sub-directory in my target folder and put the files there. I didnā€™t see the automatic download/upload cycle that you mentionā€¦ but that would certainly be a workaround for not being able to really mount a remote volume: SMB (even in the File Browser app) allows for the usual file operations (move, copy, rename, deleteā€¦) but not content editing in the way we might wish.

This is a very cool thing to keep alive for discussion and exploration, and possibly something that could link to the Naim developer team for feature requests on the Core functionality??

Take care, enjoy the weekend adventures

Regards alan

David
At the moment I copy the file to the iPad with the files app, edit with MP3Tag and then return to the NAS with the files app.
I am struggling with getting the MP3TAG app to go to NAS and edit directly. I am getting an error 1003. If I can correct this problem , i will have the full workflow proven.
Ken

I expect the developers could tell you what the error message means. There is a ā€œcontact us for supportā€ option on their website.

But it might be that the connection to the NAS has dropped. Have you tried establishing it with FileBrowser?

Best

David

I have overcome the error message and can now edit from then NAS.
As @alan33 found. Edits are stored in the download folder and have to be manually driven back to the NAS.
It does seem to be a workable solution.

Yes it certainly is a workable solution, but nevertheless I think MP3TAG can automatically save the edit back to the source. Thatā€™s what the instructions in the link say happens and that would also explain why I had a red rotating upload/download symbol after I pressed save, until I reauthenticated with the Core. But because I didnā€™t change anything obvious, I canā€™t tell whether my edit stuck or not.

I will have another go later.

Best

David

Well Iā€™ve had another go. I copied a file from the Core downloads folder to MP3TAG, made a small change to the filename and pressed save. I immediately got the rotating ring of death and it only stopped (20 mins later) when I navigated to a location, which in this case was the Core again. It then added an empty folder into the Core file listing for the album. I couldnā€™t find a way to delete that using MP3TAG so I deleted it with my PC. (Probably I could have used the iFiles app to delete the folder.) But Iā€™m obviously completely misunderstanding what this annoying MP3TAG app is doing. Normally I would have deleted the app by now, as just not worth bothering with any more.

Anyway I did manage to copy the amended file back to the Core using iFiles, and the Naim app picked it up after a tense minute or two wait, but it all feels too clunky to be meant to work like this.

But this is what doesnā€™t work for me:

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.