PCN - 28 days or 6 months issue notice?

I parked in the first bay, facing forwards on the road. The Pay machine was about ten feet behind the car. I bought a ticket and the nearest window to the machine was the back. So I put the ticket in the back window. I do it all the time at the local multi story when I park facing forward in the bay. Never a problem.

The Council are making awful road changes throughout the City, leading to worse congestion and some frankly dangerous changes where lanes from the same directions at roundabouts are separated by fugly vertical posts which then makes it virtually impossible to get into the left hand lane if on the right if you need to turn left soon after the posst end on a very busy stretch as cars can’t let you in until much closer to the junction.

Bus lanes suddenly appear immediately ahead intermittently, without warning as you’re driving down long-established roads and almost have to stop dead or swerve to avoid the bus lane (think turning right at a junction and 10 yards round the corner it changes to a bus lane).

Other bus lanes are being converted to cycle lanes and then one of two car lanes previously available is turned into a bus lane making traffic sluggish with longer queues.

Close to us on a fairly busy commercial street the lane going South has been diverted up a side street increasing traffic there and also surrounding residential roads. The old South lane is now a North travelling car lane, the old North lane is a bidirectional cycle path separated from car lane by those fugly uprights. Crossing the road now means negotiating vehicles and cycles travelling in both directions - quite unintuitive, I’m sure someone will be hit by a cycle as you only traditionally expect travel in one direction in that lane. Elsewhere roads have been significantly narrowed at junctions meaning turning onto them from a sidestreet means you have to turn partly into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid mounting the kerb as you go round the corner. In other places roads that were easy to turn onto have narrowed exits meaning only one car can enter or exit at a time whereas before there was adequate safe space for both - when you do turn off you have to aoid a raised kerb separating a cycle lane from the remainder of a wider road which was safer to turn onto.

Grrr.

Anyhow back to PCRs.

Mrs AC has just had a PCN for doing a U Turn (50u offence) on one of these roads they’ve recently modified heavily and still are.

From the pictures provided there is no way we can discern the number plate on the vehicle supposedly doing this - it’s late evening with dazzling street lights affecting the pictures.

I don’t recall no U turn signs on that road in the past, the ‘offence’ was over a month ago. Driving down that road there now seem to be very large prisitine no U turn signs in place, but I have to wonder if these were erected subsequent to the date of the alleged contravention.

Looking online it suggests video evidence must clearly show the vehicle approaching the signs and that they should be identifiable in the footage - this is no the case as the footage is perpendicular to the road and if any signs are there they are side-on or obscured by street furniture closer to the camera.

Do we pay the reduced PCN or challenge on a technicality?

I’m assuming this PCN is for a non-endorsable offence in which case maybe simpler to pay it - she’s still not certain it’s her, but she may have done so after taking son to out of hours GP many weeks ago.

I assume the PCN if an endorsable offence would state that you might get points on your licence but there’s no reference to this, or could paying be an admission of guilt resulting in points when there’s no mention of it?

How many days between alleged offence and date on letter?

23 days so not issued late, but long enough for her not to recollect!

Yes, ok.
Is it in an area known to your wife and on the way to the GP?
These are just general questions to clarify, not in any way to profer legal advice to you.
You are entitled to see the evidence they have to show beyond reasonable doubt it is your car. If they cannot, they are probably hoping you just pay up.

She travels that road most days to work but to do so would never make a U turn there.

The out of hours GP site is maybe a quarter of a mile beyond that point where the vehicle turned, with 2 left turns to get there, ending up on a one way system which after another left turn brings you back to the road she’d initially have been on - late at night so she was not going to work.

Initially I was baffled as I couldn’t figure out why she’d need to do one especially at that time of night as she’d ordinarily be in bed. With current signage you can certainly turn right across a box junction the other side but not do a U turn.