Pele.....The Best

Pele was an astounding player…who I have the pleasure of watching on tv through my life during world cup bashes…however, I still have fond memories of George Best totally embarrasing defenders and goal keepers…

1 Like

I misread this as ‘Pete… Best’, and thought that we were back to the good old days of debate about The Beatles’ lineup.

Specifically, Mr Lennon being asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and his famous reply that he was not even the best drummer in The Beatles! (I think that he had Macca in mind!)

1 Like

Mr Lennon never said that. It was a Jasper Carrott joke - one of the great urban myths.

1 Like

That’s not true. A myth comprehensively debunked by Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn. Lennon didn’t say it. Nor did any other Beatle. In fact it was said by Jasper Carrott in his 1983 BBC TV series. I’m constantly amazed that people parrot this misquote so credulously.

3 Likes

Glad you’ve cleared that up I’d heard years ago and tried not to imagine John saying that. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.