Perceived value

Interesting re the Kuro. I have one and the picture is still the best I have seen, so much so that my film making son keeps asking when he is going to get it. With the av taking the sky box, firestick and a network connection and then feeding the video signal, the lack of features isn’t a problem.

1 Like

That may be true for the cheap brands like Hoover and Beko, but Bosch, Miele and Neff are I believe made in Germany.

I was very close to ordering one from John Lewis in Bristol, really not sure why I didn’t at the time.

As for ‘lack of features’ it seems to be becoming harder to find a TV without all these ‘features’ built-in. My AppleTV 4k (or any equivalent) stb would have me covered for such services. While I can see the appeal I’d just like a cheaper ‘display/tuner’ only set.

I don’t want voice assistants on a TV nor do I want to accept Google T&Cs etc to use one. Many of the elderly must be baffled by options on newer TV sets they may never use.

4 Likes

Miele is mostly still made in Germany, they have a factory in the Czech Republic, too.

I’ve generally had good experiences with Miele longevity and parts availability, though I wouldn’t recommend their washer dryers - or anybody else’s. The bearings always go after around 8-10 years and you often can’t get a replacement bearing but have to go for the entire drum.

Just a couple of experiences recently. Was looking around because of Black Friday sale, noticed Amazon echo dot gen 3 is $19 ($40 off) and new one (gen 4) is $40 discounted (from $80 down to $40). Gen 4 has a front facing speaker (sounds more crisp less muffled) and a newer chip (supposedly faster) which in my experience hasn’t improved experience at all. Gen 3 had tactile buttons, it’s actually a much nicer unit imho. No point buying new unless you want an animal version for kids. Btw, it’s claimed gen 3 costs $40+ to make. All prices in Australian dollar.

CF Express cards like all memory cards are not made equal. I haven’t seen any card that publishes minimum read/write speeds. They all say maximum read/write speeds except one - Delkin Black - and not that it’s min speeds are lower than max speeds of other cards. But it’s hard to get. Went to my local shop, even they suggested I get it online. I did.

This is the funny thing with electronics, TV in particular. New standards and higher res, etc are constantly coming out that pushes us to a new TV unit. I bought a 4k monitor this year and added a google TV to it. Really fantastic and a good way to add remote, ability to hook up Bluetooth speakers (incl Naim) to it and lift audio experience, Bluetooth keyboard and a whole long list of movie stream services. We just turned on our TV yesterday after months to play games because it’s hooked up to the game console. :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.