Perfect speakers to NDX 2 + Supernait 3?

just out of curiosity i was looking at thenet for the tech spec of the MBL 126 but couldnt find it - especially sensitivity and power handling

No neither could I .

This I did find, you have to admit a masterpiece of marketing or what not to call your productScreenshot 2020-04-25 at 17.40.49

1 Like

Based on what ? Wich criteria ?

Experience!

This forum is full of questions from people unhappy with their systems where people have bought speakers that are well beyond the capability of the rest of the system, or mullets as they are known. Its a recipe for disappointment.

1 Like

not heard the term mullet before - do you mean a mullet is someone who has bought hifi speakers priced much higher than source components or what non mullets perceive as an out of balance system??

Is that a term used by dealers in the trade?

Itā€™s the system, not the person. Itā€™s exactly as Richard described, speakers beyond the capability of the rest of the system. Itā€™s a common cause of dissatisfaction. Whether dealers generally use it Iā€™ve no idea, but quite a few people seem to go shopping at Mulletsā€™rā€™Us.

2 Likes

Ok, and how you define a ā€œtoo goodā€ speaker in a case of the supernait 3 ?

@YetiStockholm
These speakers are rated 82db and 4 ohm !! One would need a 500 DR to properly drive them. And at that price there are numerous other alternatives for less $$ that sound great. The SN3 Doesnā€™t have nearly enough to drive them. But you could keep the SN3 to use as a preamp and consider
a Hegal H20. Itā€™s half the price of a 500 DR rated at 200wpc and would work a treat. By keeping all the upstream Nain gear itā€™s going to sound very Naim likeā€¦

and FYI The Corona Line has been out for YEARS. Far predating Covid-19

1 Like

HIFI-scholar dictionary:

ā€˜Mulletā€™: derogatory allusion those self-erected as especially understood in HIFI and its physical rules attribute, above all in internet forums, to systems unbalanced according to their understanding based on their numerous, although not significant, experiences.

With direct experience with the SN2 and with the SN3 paired with ProAC K6, well beyond over ProAc D48, Spendor D9.2 and PMC F8, any of these three speakers should work very well with the SN3, limiting restrictions, as in any system, to listening volume and personal tastes.

Cheers.

1 Like

I found it on the American dealers website yesterday.

There is a thread about Naim showing older items , guess itā€™s not just a Naim issue.

Certainly looking at the EAR they too are also out of date

@newcomer I recommended ProAc D20R but D30R would also work well, both can be ordered in White

1 Like

Sure, but equally limited to tastes and listening volume. Considering further that while both are an easier load (8 Ohmns impedance), their sensitivity in both cases is somewhat lower than in the D48; with what, broadly speaking, more on one side and less on the other.

Is peridity actually a word? What might it mean? SN3 and K6 is a classic example of a mullet.

2 Likes

Newcomer: Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t understand your point.

Damn I always thought a Mullet was a stupid looking hair style that went out of style in the 80ā€™s

Thin on top, hence the analogy.

1 Like

I tried the original supernait, a 202/200 combo was something of a relief in comparison, I donā€™t know if the supernait 3 had the same characteristic but swapping to the combo it was like a background noise I hadnā€™t consciously noticed suddenly stopped, this was with Dynaudio 140s. Iā€™ve later heard the same supernait with Rega RS5s and liked it but that was after Iā€™d started a piecemeal changeover to 282/hi/250. If you can get a loan of this combo it might be enough to tell you if itā€™s a mismatch with Naim or just the supernait. Thereā€™s a reason Naim keep the ps away from the preamp in their separates.

1 Like

yes thatā€™s pretty much my experience with the Sn1 - and why I paid extra for the 202/200 at the time. Never regretted it.

I agree thereā€™s a reason why Naim keep the PS away from the preamp.

Thatā€™s a gorgeous room and setting, please may ask what area of the world that is?

Itā€™s not related to thin on top, but rather to long at the back. Speakers that are considered too good for the amplifier can sometimes be fine if coupled with a really good source - a CDS3, Nait 5i and SBLs would be a good example of this.

1 Like