Pesky HDX backups.... Network issue?

What date is actually showing? The date from the HDX or NAS or???
How would I correct it?

I’d check the dates in the settings of both devices. The Synology is more likely to use the correct one, I guess, most likely it uses an internet time server automatically. On the HDX I don’t know where to look, but it’s probably advisable that both devices use the same date. It may not make a difference but you never know how confused a device might get when it sees network packages coming from the future

1 Like

I only got backup HDX to Synology NAS working using the NAS standard Guest account without password. HDX logging in as Guest. With username and password it did not work for me.

2 Likes

You can change the date and time in System Settings in the browser interface, or in N-Serve. Worth a try, although I doubt it will resolve this issue.

Yes, this is one of the things that the setup guide I posted above talks you through, and certainly something that needs to be done right.

I’ve just run through the Naim Audio / Synology user guide / instructions posted by @ChrisSU and came to that same conclusion about the guest account.
I also changed the workgroup from WORKGROUP to NAIM as per the instructions. One of the two changes I made have made the NAS appear as “online”.
However, I now can’t work out how to change that share to become a backup drive, for automatic backups from the HDX.
The “Use as backup” option is greyed out.

The date and times are now appearing correctly.

I vaguely remember that to be able to be used as a backup location by the HDX, the relevant NAS folder must be completely empty, you are not even allowed an empty bin in there.

That’s correct - the folder must be empty. I have made sure the recycle bin is NOT activated on the share.

Do I have to first change the “Share” to a “Store” in order to be able to make it a backup location?

I would think that would very likely be the case…

It’s a long time since I played with this, and eventually I gave up and rang Phil Harris who sorted it all out for me. But can you undefine it as a share, without defining it as a store? If so, worth trying that too.

1 Like

“Invalid operation” when I try.
OK, I’ve had enough for today. I give up for now :frowning:

Maybe delete it and try to define a new backup destination as part of the backup definition process?

I’ve tried doing just that several times. I think there’s something blocking access to the shared folder. A setting on the NAS that I’ve missed or something.
As far as I can see, I have set it up on the NAS as a guest account with no password but still can’t access it properly.
Now, I can’t even point Asset to look at the folder - access denied…
Time to watch some TV and look at this with a fresh mind tomorrow…

1 Like

Is your previous backup folder still nominated as such? I don’t know if more than one backup destination is allowed at a time as I’ve only ever needed one, but maybe disable the old one if you haven’t already done so?

Regarding the need for the folder to be empty, there are all sorts of ways to inadvertently add a file to a folder, such as simply opening the folder on your Mac then closing it again. I wonder also if Asset is sneaking a hidden file into the folder too, so maybe close that before creating another new one.

The HDX can use multiple backup destinations.
At one stage, I managed to start a backup but it failed shortly into the first backup and the drive had gone “offline” again.
I’ll start from scratch again today.
If all else fails I’ll simply do a copy & paste and forget the automatic backups.
Or, I’ll try to use another method altogether…

fyi dont even open the share on a mac, it will have a DStore file put in there hidden which will me the share is no longer empty.

I know about the possibility of hidden files, so no, I didn’t even open it in Finder on my Mac.
I believe I have finally got it working.
The problem appears to be that I made the NAS share “Active” in n-Serve, by “enabling” it.
I noticed that my “Downloads” folder on my NAS could be made into a “backup” destination but my “HDXBackup” folder on my NAS couldn’t. The option was greyed out.
The only difference I could see was that I’d clicked on “Activate” against the “HDXBackup” share. It seemed logical that I’d want the share to be “Active” but apparently not.
My “Downloads” share was showing as: Status; online, Active; no.
My “HDXBackup” was showing as: Status; online, Active; yes.
Deactivating the “HDXBackup” share meant I could then select “Use as backup”.
It is currently completing the first full backup which is likely to take around a day.
Once completed, I’ll try running Asset server again on the NAS.
Fingers crossed and only took me 24 hours to work out.
Thanks again to everyone who helped.

3 Likes

Just one more thing to add; in order to get Asset server to be able to access the share and actually index it and work, I had to change a hidden setting in the “permissions” tab on the Synology NAS drive.
On the NAS I had to access “Control Panel” / “Shared Folder” / select the share you want Asset to index / click on “Edit” / then click on the “Permissions” tab, then click on the drop down where it says “Local Users” and select “System Internal User”.
Once there, you’ll see a list of apps including Asset. Alongside Asset, put a tick (check) in the “Read Only” box.
Finally, click on “Save”.
You’ll have to do this for each folder you’d like Asset to index, in my case, the MQ folder and Downloads.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.